14th Street 8th Avenue Complex
8th Avenue (L) is noteworthy because it originally differed so from the other stations on the line. This station opened in 1931, and was not built like a BMT station; rather, it was built in the same style as the IND station with which it shares a transfer point. Instead of the ornate mosaics of the other stations, a simple blue tile band adorned the wall. This remained in place until early 2001, when a frieze in the same motif as the other stations replaced it. This frieze is not historically correct although it looks so, because the pattern in the center repeats itself. The colors are white, dark red, two shades of green and mustard yellow. Winding staircases with many landings lead to the IND upper level. 8th Avenue opened June 13, 1931, one island platform. This station is a transfer point to the IND 8th Ave. Subway
14h Street (A, C, E) has four tracks and two island platforms. Exits are to 14th Street, 15th Street (via HEETs) and 16th Street (booth). The complex has full ADA at the 14th street end. Artwork is by Tom Otterhouse and is entitled "Life Underground" and consists of bronze "Characters", some with transit tools and some beating the fare, sleeping or sweeping up tokens. The renovation, by Cab Associates finally finished although some rooms for vendors remain under construction as of September 2004. A signal school is at the south end. A former exit to 17th street was closed during the renovation. There is a closed passageway behind double doors near the ramp to the L which connected to the 14th-6th and 7th complex. This space is partially used for employee space and storage. Sources have volunteered that the entire length is still usable as of 12/2004.