|Home||NYCT||Staten Island||Port Authority||NYC Commuter Rail||America||The World||Contributors||Links|
|Transit Tech||Transit Then||Transit Today||Transit Tomorrow|
South Ferry (on State Street and South Street at Battery Park ) opened 7/01/1918 and is the most unusual station on the line. It features two separate single track loops with a short five car side platform on each loop track of which only the outer loop being in passenger Service. The outer loop is actually the older of the two loops. The inner loop was originally used for mid day storage and later had a second platform built to serve the Lexington Avenue Lines. After a purchase of new cars with door locations in a different location the inner loop was served by shuttles until finally abandoned and is only used to turn mid day 5 Trains. This station used proximity sensors to activate the gap fillers. Due to the changes caused by 9/11/2001 rebuild and ferry terminal construction the artwork entitled South Sails is not visible at this tine. Exit is via temporary stairs to a temporary station house at street level. Our train arrives and we board. The gap fillers retract and we screech out of the loop.
The new station is discussed on the complexes page.
Rector Street opened (on Greenwich Street at Rector Street) opened on 7/01/1918 and has two tracks and two side platforms and was renovated in 2002 after being closed by the tunnel collapse near the World Trade Center after the 9/11/2001 disaster. No artwork was found. The North exit leads to Greenwich and Rector Streets and has a booth Northbound only. The South exit leads to Morris and Greenwich Streets. The station has one tablet that does not match the others. The southbound side also has a center exit added with the renovation
Cortlandt Street (Underneath World Trade Center) opened on 7/01/1918 and is temporarily closed due to the 9/11/2001 disaster since the station exited into the World Trade Center Mall. A shell exists here and will be rebuilt when the site is redeveloped. Prior to the destruction it had two side platforms and two tracks. It had beige brick walls with enamelized photos of the area. There was a crossover on the extreme North end. Ridership for the year 2000 was 5.4 million. SOURCE: NYCT).
The tracks from Brooklyn join us and form a four track main line and we enter our next station.
Chambers Street (on West Broadway at Chambers Street) which opened on 7/01/1918 with four tracks and two island platforms. The station has crossovers. Much of the station has a fairly high ceiling. The South ends of the platforms are split with the local tracks slightly higher. This is because of the platform extensions in the1950's.The exit is to Chambers Street and West Broadway
Franklin Street (on Varick Street at Franklin Street) opened on 7/01/1918 and has four tracks and two wall platforms. It was renovated in 1994 by in house contract. The Northbound platform has a newsstand. The North exit is to North Moore Street and West Broadway and the South exit leads to Franklin, Varick and West Broadway., The station has vent chambers and a nice faux marble floor. The space on the southbound platform once used by a newsstand is now used for rotating art displays. There is no crossover or crossunder .
Canal Street (on Varick Street at Canal Street) opened on 7/01/1918 ad has two wall platforms and four tracks. The station was renovated in 1992 by NYCT in house contract. No crossover or crossunder was found. The platforms are offset. I believe the booths were originally directly across from each other. Had semi-long passageway exit at S/B side, it is sealed up. This is based on observation from an 1985 Neighborhood map.
Houston Street (on Varick Street at West Houston Street) opened on 7/01/1918 and was renovated in 1994 By NYC in house contract and features artwork entitled Platform Diving by Deborah Brown. The artwork is an interpretation of the question "What kind of subway would sea creatures use?" There is no crossover or crossunder except for a possible closed crossunder on the extreme North end. The Express tracks are slightly lower than the local tracks. While we have no formal verification, Joe Cunningham with the Transit Museum believes it was done to aid deceleration and acceleration.
Christopher Street/ Sheridan Square, on 7th Avenue South at Christopher Street) opened on 7/01/1918 and has a tertiary name of New York University and has two wall platforms and four tracks. The station was renovated by NYCT in house contract in 1995. It has vent chambers and a possible closed crossunder at the South end. Artwork is entitled Greenwich Village Murals by Lee Brozgold and the Students of IS41. Two Panels are on each platform. Northbound features a panel entitled Bohemians, Mabel Dodge’s Salon and Rebels, From Revolution to Today. Southbound, features a panel entitled Founders featuring Wouter Van Twiller, Canarsie Indian, Henry James, Ira Aldridge, John LaFarge, John Brown Russwurm and Guverneur Morris. The second panel is Providers and features "papa", Charles Loring Brace, Paul Popham, Mary Kingsbury, Mayor LaGuardia and Lucy Spraig Mitchell
14th Street (on 7th Avenue at West 14th Street) follows and is described on the Complexes Page
18th Street (on 7th Avenue at West 18th Street) which opened on 7/01/1918with four tracks and two wall platforms. Renovation by NYCT in house contract was completed in 1992. Vent chambers are found here along with no crossover or crossunder. The station has no art. North exit is to 19th Street and 7th Avenue and South exit is to 18thStreet and 7th Avenue.
23rd Street(on 7th Avenue at west 23rd Street) opened 7/01/1918 and has four tracks and two wall platforms. NYCT in house contract renovated this station in 1990. No art, no crossover, no crossunder. Vent chambers are present.
28th Street (on 7th Avenue at West 28th Street) opened on 7/01/1918 and also has four tracks and two wall platforms and was also renovated by in house contract but the date was not available. Vent chambers are present along with a closed newsstand on the northbound platform. No crossover or crossunder was found. The center exit leads to 28th Street and 7th Avenue while the South exit leads to 27th Street and 7th Avenue.
34th Street Penn Station (on 7th Avenue at West 34th Street) opened on 07/01/1918 and has four tracks a wall platform for Northbound local, Island platform for express trains and a wall platform for southbound local. This station has crossunders as well as some booths on platform level. Artwork is entitled “When the Animals Speak…” by Elizabeth Grajales, 1997.It is Ceramic mosaic on platform; handmade ceramic relief tiles on the platform walls
In her series of mosaics, Grajales shows wild beasts in a pastoral setting, reminiscent of the 19th-century paintings such as the "Peaceable Kingdom" by Edward Hicks. One features a pair of lions happily coexisting with birds. A nearby stream (representing the Hudson River) with cliffs behind (the Palisades in New Jersey) form the backdrop. In another mosaic, a bear contentedly watches a doe and her young. Other panels show birds in flight and nesting. "As a child on shopping trips," notes Grajales, "I found the station dull and colorless. I wanted to give people something cheerful but also calming - a refuge in the city. That's why I used gentle colors like golden ochre and pale blues and greens for these idyllic Garden of Eden scenes."
The mezzanine is below the tracks and is a direct connection to NY Penn Station. The south end features an interesting stairway. The express platform is offset from the local platforms.
42nd Street Times Square (on 7th Avenue and West 42nd Street) follows and is described on the Complexes page.
50th Street (on Broadway at West 50th Street) which opened on 10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two wall platforms. This station has no crossover and no crossunder and has been renovated. The artwork is entitled "Alice, the Way Out" by Liliana Porter, 1994. The historic details have been covered and MTA would do it differently if it were being done today. Both platforms have a newsstand.
59th Street Columbus Circle (on Broadway at West 59th Street Columbus Circle) follows and is described on the Complexes Page.
66th Street Lincoln Center(on Broadway at West 66th Street) opened on 10/27/1904 and features four tracks and two wall platforms. There is a crossunder at the South end which leads to 65thStreet as well as direct entrance to Lincoln Center. The station has been renovated and has one big anachronism. The tablets and Icons prominently include Lincoln Center and LC — Lincoln Center was not there when the station opened! Lincoln Center area was constructed in 1962-1963 The artwork is entitled "Artemis, Acrobats, Divas and Dancers" by Nancy Spero, 2001. The center exit features elevators and leads to 66tth Street.
72nd Street (on Broadway at West 72nd Street) opened on 10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two island Platforms and was renovated in 2000. Art work is a glass block wall and skylight. The artwork is entitled "Laced Canopy" and is by Robert Hickman, It features notes from Verdi’s opera, Rigeletto. The area has a nearby Verdi Park. The South exit features the original historic entrance leading to 71st and 72nd Streets and the North Entrance, which is new, leads to 72nd and 73rd Streets. The station has full ADA access at the new north entrance fare control only. There is no ADA access from the South exit.(on Broadway at 72nd Street) opened on10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two island Platforms and was renovated in 2000. Art work is a glass block wall and skylight. The artwork is entitled “Laced Canopy” and is by Robert Hickman,. The skylight is Mosaic glass in north control house
Laced Canopy has over 100 decorative glass mosaic panels - over one million fragments of glass - installed in the skylight of the subway control house, the first above-ground station house built in New York in over a century. The work's light and lacy effect is achieved from trapping the mosaic fragments between two sheets of specially fabricated glass. The knots interwoven into the composition are also representations of musical notes from Giuseppe Verdi's opera Rigoletto, referencing Verdi Park, in which the station is located, and the nearby Metropolitan Opera. Robert Hickman describes the sparkling canopy as "a delicate covering of crushed diamonds." Nineteenth-century English sources inform the work, whose concept is based on the 1851 London Crystal Palace; William Morris fabric and wallpaper designs, as well as Greco-Roman knot patterns, are incorporated as motifs.
The area has a nearby Verdi Park. The South exit features the original historic entrance leading to 71st and 72nd Streets and the North Entrance, which is new, leads to 72nd and 73rd Streets. The station has full ADA access.
79th Street (on Broadway at West 79th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. The station is not renovated but is in good condition. There is no art work. The Express tracks are slightly lower than the local tracks, especially at the North end.
86th Street(on Broadway at West 86th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two wall platforms. There is no crossover or crossunder and while not renovated, features artwork installed in 1988 entitled "Life on the West Side 59th to 110th Street" The artists were students of Community Board 7 and Grosvernor House. Scenes include the 72nd street IRT station, Medians on Broadway, NYC Fire Department, Kids at play, Boats in the Marina, Street vendors and a NYCT Bus among others. A poem entitled "West Side Views" by Pedro Pieti, a student, is also featured.
91st Street (on Broadway at West 91st Street) opened 10/27/1904 and is abandoned. The station was closed 2/02/1959 to speed service and closeness to 96th Street (which was extended southward to 94th Street). This station has four tracks and two wall platforms. The local tracks are higher than the express tracks.
96th Street on Broadway at West 96th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has four tracks, two island platforms and two short wall platforms at the North end. As built, the locals were five cars and used the wall platforms and the express trains used the island platforms. When the locals were lengthened to ten cars, the wall platforms were used only for the booths. The station has at crossover at the South end leading to 94th Street and a crossunder at the North end leading to 96th Street. The full time booths are at 94th street at the south end and west side of 96th street at the north end. A Tower is present at the 96th street full time area. A tower is present at the 96th street full time area. Since renovation the crossunder is closed to the public and a new street level booth is present at the 96th Street entrance. Artwork is entitled Antenna Design New York (Masamichi Udagawa + Sigi Moeslinger) Bloemendaal, 2010. It is Stainless Steel
Within the vaulted ceiling area of the new station house located on Broadway between 95th and 96th Streets, the artists have created a profusion of flowers that appear animated. The hanging sculptural work consists of 180 polished stainless steel flowers linked together and arranged in rows that flow from the structure's steel traverse beams, creating ethereal layers of reflective surfaces with an almost ghost-like presence.
The artists' intent is to reflect the community's historic roots as Bloomingdale, derived from the Dutch "Bloemendaal" - Vale of Flowers. The installation is a memento of nature past, reminding subway riders of a time before the area became an urban neighborhood, changing their perception of place for a few fleeting moments.
The organic arrangement of the flowers and their light and airy quality bring life to the soaring volume of the interior space. At night, ceiling lights cause the flowers to glimmer and the overall effect is a subtle yet lyrical evocation of the idea of gardens and light. As transit riders emerge from the subway and climb stairs up to the street level, they glimpse the layered flowers, which change in appearance as people move past.
Leaving here, the express tracks descend and turn off.
The next four stations were all renovated by Citnalta Construction Company in 2004, and have been restored to mint 1904 condition. These stations are great examples of how renovations of historic stations should be done!
103rd Street (on Broadway at West 103rd Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has with three tracks and two wall platforms. There is a crossover at the south end leading to 103rd street. Northbound has an extra exit to 104th Street. There are also emergency exits from the express tracks underneath and diverging from our line. As of this writing there is no art work yet The station has vent chambers over the center track.. The refrigerator tile at the main exit has thankfully been removed! The Southbound platform has a newsstand.,
110th Street Cathedral Parkway (on Broadway at West 110th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has three tracks, two wall platforms and no crossunder or crossover. Vent chambers are present over the center track. A closed newsstand is on the southbound platform. As of July, 2004 there is no art yet. The secondary name refers to the nearby Cathedral of St. John the Divine.
116th Street Columbia University (on Broadway at West 116th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. The station’s tile has light blue trim. There is a crossover at the North exit to 116th Street. Northbound has an extra exit to 115th Street with a low ceiling and requiring you to go down three steps before exiting to the street. The artwork is the chair known as Rail Rider’s Throne, by Michelle Greene , installed in 1991, and is located on the southbound platform. Vent chambers are located over the center track.
Leaving here we enter a highlight of the line, The Manhattan Valley Viaduct. The streets take a big dive and the subway to stay relatively level is located on a viaduct which has one station-125th Street.
125th Street (on Broadway at West125th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and now has windows on the rear walls and old fashioned lights at the ends of both wall platforms. The ends have low railings. The canopies have wood on the platform ceiling side and metal on the sky side. As of July, 2004 the only artwork is a 1991 piece by Wopo Holup entitled River to river and is located In the mezzanine which serves as the crossunder.. The station is five stories high ands has escalators to the street. The Manhattan Valley Viaduct begins at 121st Street and ends at 134th Street. The tunnel portals have brick side walls. The station proper is located on a steel arch bridge over 125th Street and Broadway. The station has three tracks.
137th Street City College(on Broadway at West 137th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. The station has been renovated and if redone today would not be renovated in the style that is present. The historic style tile with Janus, a three headed deity looking past, present, and future, has been covered except at a location hear the booths. The columns are encased in metal with a dollop of "Whipped cream" near the top. Artwork is entitled "Fossils" by Steve Wood 1985-1987. A tower is located at the north end of the northbound platform.. Leaving here we pass through 137th Street Yard which is used to store trains and to short turn trains
145th Street (on Broadway at West 145th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has two wall platforms. The south end has three tracks and becomes two tracks at the North end where the northbound track merges with the center track.. Due to this merge, the platforms are offset. The platforms are offset at the front end of each platform. The station has no crossover or crossunder and needs tons of TLC.
157th Street(on Broadway at West 157th Street) opened on 11/12/1904. There are two tracks, two wall platforms and no crossover or crossunder. The station needs tons of TLC.. We now enter another highlight of the line, the Washington Heights Mine Tunnel which was built by miners in a round tube construction. This section is the deepest section of the line.
168th Street (Originally 168th Street-Washington Heights) opened 03/16/1906 for the IRT and 9/10/1932 for the IND: It is discussed on the complexes page .
181st Street George Washington Bridge (on Saint Nicholas Avenue at West 181st Street) opened on 03/16/1906 and has two tracks and two wall platforms and was renovated by NYCT in house contract in 1994. Of the three crossovers only the north crossover is in use. The south crossover is used for employee and office space while the Center crossover is closed. This station is also a grand station but only at the South end. The elevators used to have an entrance at platform level but are now long gone. The only remaining evidence is a green arched doorway at platform level on the northbound platform. The upper mezzanine has stores outside the paid area. No artwork was found. this station suffered a ceiling collapse in mid 2009 and a full repair, paying attention to the historical accuracy is planned. In the interim, temporary repairs have been made and the station has a temporary plywood scaffolding over much of the arched ceiling.
191st Street(on Saint Nicholas Avenue at West 191st Street) opened on 01/14/1911 and was renovated in 2003 by NYCT in house contract and is an excellent example of how stations should be renovated. The two wall platforms (two tracks) have restored and new tablets and restored and new Grecian key friezes on the columns which are tiled. The elevators used to have a platform level entrance from the southbound platform but have since been walled over. Artwork is by Raúl Colón and is Primavera, 2003. It is Glass mosaic and faceted glass on stairway wall
The artist visited the Washington Heights community and saw a diverse neighborhood, filled with children. His response was a glass mosaic of a soaring couple dancing in an idyllic landscape and two faceted glass windows of children at play. The artist says that he wanted something that would be uplifting and that he was inspired by the imagery and symbolism of early Renaissance murals, especially those of Piero della Francesca, known for their serenity and clarity. According to artist Raúl Colón, "The couple represented dancing is ethnically diverse...."
.The station also has a tunnel to Broadway (not renovated) maintained by the Parks Department. The elevators are outside the paid area and are used by the neighborhood residents to go to Saint. Nicholas Avenue. The south pair of elevators has had their rear entrance reopened on the lower and upper mezzanine which features art glass of neighborhood diversity and children at play on the passageway to the rear entrance to the elevators. The streets take a dive as we come to our next station, Dyckman Street.
Dyckman Street (200th Street) (on 10th Avenue at Dyckman Street) opened on 03/16/1906 with two tracks and two wall platforms. This station is in the subway at the south end and elevated at the north end. There is a crossunder to the street level booth. There is no portal at the south end only a tunnel which has "Fort George 1776-1905" on the top. The platforms need tons of TLC and featured wood canopies and low railings at both ends. The stairs to the mezzanine as well as the mezzanine is tiled with doves in the tile which is an artwork which is entitled "Flight" by Wopo Holup, and was installed in 1991. The mezzanine is near street level. From here to the end of the line all have fleur-de-lis on top of their station houses. This station is currently undergoing a full rebuild.
The next five stations, 207th Street, 215th Street, 225th Street.231st Street, 238th Street feature an artwork entitled "Elevated Nature" by Wopo Holup and were installed in 1991. All five have had their northbound stationhouse closed, entrance and exit via HEETs and are used for office space. All have three tracks and two wall platforms. They are all basically identical.
207th Street (on 10th Avenue at West 207th Street) opened on 03/16/1906 and has a view of 207th Street Yard and shop.
(on 10th Avenue at West 215th Street) opened on 03/12/1906
and has a view of Broadway Bridge , we cross the bridge via the upper level.
225th Street (on Broadway at West 225th Street) opened on 01/27/1907has a view of Marble Hill Station of Metro North. Contrary to popular opinion, we are still in Manhattan.
231st Street (on Broadway at West 231st Street) opened on 08/01/1908.
This station has two side platforms and faceted glass artwork by Felipe Galindo entitled "Magic Realism in Kingsbridge". Installed in 2008 it features the places and history of the neighborhood- some imaginary such as a tropical island in the Harlem River and a fire escape to Heaven.
238th Street (on Broadway at West 238th Street) opened on 08/01/1908 and has a view of the storage yard.
242nd Street Van Cortlandt Park (on Broadway at West 242nd Street) opened on 08/01/1908 has two tracks, two closed wall platforms with very low load limits and an open island platform The mezzanine is wood and is located at the North end of the station. Your webmaster has had a theory that the lines was supposed to go further North. It has since been confirmed by Steve Krakowski that it was supposed to go to at least 262 street and possibly the city line.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.
Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"