Home   NYCT   Staten Island   Port Authority   NYC Commuter Rail   America  The World    Contributors   Links

 

Transit Tech   Transit Then   Transit Today   Transit Tomorrow

 

   2 Train Tablet   2 Digital Sign

  

For photos please see www nycsubway.org

Brooklyn Tile Band

___________________________________

FLATBUSH  AVENUE

BROOKLYN COLLEGE

 

Flatbush Avenue / Brooklyn College (on Nostrand Avenue at Flatbush Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has Two Tracks, two wall platforms which are connected at the South end. There are vent chambers. The South exit leads to Avenue H and  has a ghost booth and part timet HEET access, and is not ADA compliant while the Center exit on the Manhattan bound side leads to South side of  Flatbush Avenue and is ADA compliant with elevator There is another part time exit on the s/b side, the booth is open only during rush hours, HEET access other times of the day . The artwork is entitled "Flatbush Floogies" and is by Muriel Castanis and was installed in 1996. The art is near the Avenue H entrance. This station was renovated. Future plans for installation of a small storage yard South of the station which will require reconfiguration of the station. A tower is at the North end of the northbound platform. There is a platform level crossover at the Avenue H exit. During rush hours, it is common, but not always the case for 5 trains to use the west pocket track, while 2 trains use the east pocket track (The same side as the f/t and ADA fare control area.) All other times when the 5 is not running, the 2 uses either track.

________________

NEWKIRK AVENUE

 

Newkirk Avenue (on Nostrand Avenue at Newkirk Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has no crossover or crossunder ands has two tracks, two wall platforms. The South exit is to Newkirk Avenue while the North exit (southbound platform only) leads to Avenue D, The tiles and the exit staircase both suggest it was added in the early 1960s There is a newsstand on the northbound platform. The station has vent chambers. The booth has the station name spelled as "New Kirk" while the signs have it as one word! (Correct spelling is one word!)

________________

BEVERL(E)Y ROAD

Beverl(e)y Road (on Nostrand Avenue at Beverl(e)y Road) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks two wall platforms, no crossover or crossunder and no southbound booth. Platforms are offset (rear of platforms are longer). Faux IND tile and tablets show the name as Beverly while booth and exit signs near the center exit shows name as Beverley. There are arguments in favor of both spellings and this site will not join in the disputes over which is correct. There are vent chambers. This site will show the name as "Beverl(e)y"

________________

CHURCH AVENUE

 

Church Avenue (on Nostrand Avenue at Church Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks, two wall platforms, full ADA and no southbound booth. This station was renovated in 1997 by NYCT in house contract. A newsstand is located on the northbound platform. The artwork is entitled "Transitions" by Lois Delsarte and was installed in 2001.

________________

WINTHROP ROAD

 

Winthrop Road (on Nostrand Avenue at Winthrop Road) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks, two wall platforms, no crossover or crossunder. Northbound exit is at the north end at platform level. Southbound exit is up ten steps and is at the south end and  leads to Parkside Avenue. No exit to Winthrop Road was found leading to a theory of sealed center exit(s). The station has a secondary name of Downstate Medical Center University Hospital. The station has vent chambers. Rear of platforms are offset.

________________

STERLING STREET

 

Sterling Street (on Nostrand Avenue at Sterling Street) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks, two wall platforms and a crossover via dual stairways on both platforms. The offset to platforms is at the rear of both platforms.

__________________

PRESIDENT STREET

 

President Street (on Nostrand Avenue at President Street) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks ands an island platform. To exit you go up seventeen steps to an intermediate level and then thirteen steps to the mezzanine. You can also use an escalator to bypass the intermediate level .The exit is near the North end. The steel I- beams are double wide and the south end of the platform tapers. The North end of the northbound track features a punch for local or express.. We meet the 3 train and 4 train and run local on a four track trunk line under Eastern Parkway

________________

FRANKLIN AVENUE

 

Franklin Avenue  is discussed on the complexes page

___________________

EASTERN PARKWAY

BROOKLYN MUSEUM

 

Eastern Parkway Brooklyn Museum (Off Washington Avenue and Eastern Parkway ) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks, two wall platforms. There is an emergency exit from the express tracks (on a lower level) at the south end of both platforms and the North end has an emergency exit to the street and a ghost booth. The station has just been renovated by Citnalta Construction and is spotless. Mosaic directional signs were found. Artwork is entitled "New York City Architectural Artifacts from the Collection of the Brooklyn Museum" and was installed in 2004. It is curated by Farancz Painting Conservation Studio and features gargoyles and friezes from NYC buildings. For a track map of the Eastern Parkway Trunk Line see www.nycsubway.org

________________

GRAND ARMY PLAZA

 

Grand Army Plaza (on Flatbush Avenue at Grand Army Plaza) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks and a very wide Island Platform Artwork is by Jane Greengold and is entitled "Wings for the IRT… The Irresistible Romance of Travel" and was installed in 1995. The art features angels gesturing toward an R62 car (See www.nycsubway.org for photos and a track map.) No evidence of emergency exits was found unless inside one of many rooms on the platform. We have been informed that there is a sealed exit to the main Brooklyn Public Library. (SOURCE: Steve Krakowski). DO NOT enter tunnels or rooms to look for this exit. You face arrest!

________________

BERGEN STREET

 

Bergen Street (on Flatbush Avenue at Bergen Street) opened 08/23/1920 and has four tracks and two wall platforms separate by a curtain wall (from the center it looks like one track but at the North end you can se the express tracks used by the 4 train Booths are at the platform level with no crossover or crossunder . This station has not been renovated.

_________________

ATLANTIC AVENUE

BARCLAYS CENTER

 

Atlantic Avenue  Barclays Center (on Flatbush Avenue at Atlantic Avenue) is described on the Complexes page

________________

NEVINS STREET

 

Nevins Street (on Flatbush Avenue and Fulton Street at Nevins Street) opened 05/01/1908 and has four tracks ands two island platforms with the tower between the two express tracks which was once a track. For more info see www.nycsubway.org. The current layout has a crossunder which hides the abandoned lower level. See  Brennan's Page for more information. This station is very shallow and often has standing water of the platforms. This station has been renovated and features Artwork in the mezzanine which has no crossover on each side of Fulton Street. Both platforms taper at the south end.

________________

HOYT STREET

FULTON MALL

 

Hoyt Street Fulton Mall (on Futon Mall at Hoyt Street) opened on 05/01/1908 and has four tracks and two wall platforms. There used to be a crossunder to the former Abraham and Straus (Now Macy’s) Department store but was sealed when the station was renovated in the 1970s. The renovation covered the original tablets and tile which remains only at the south end of the station.

________________

BOROUGH HALL

 

Borough Hall is described on the Complexes Page

________________

CLARK STREET

 

Clark Street (Inside Saint George Hotel) opened on 04/15/1919 and has two tracks and an island platform in a tube design. The station has a secondary name of Brooklyn Heights Exit is up to the lower mezzanine and then elevators to the street. The exit is at street level via an arcade with shops and the Hotel St. George. The lower mezzanine features artwork on the floor by Ray Ring, installed 1987 entitled "In Celebration of Lazlo" and features geometric shapes. This is the last stop in Brooklyn.

Manhattan Tile Band

________________

WALL STREET

 

Wall Street (On William Street at Wall Street) opened on 08/01/1918 and is the first stop in Manhattan and has two tracks and a narrow island platform. There is a passageway outside the paid area to Broad Street on the J Train. Artwork by Harry Roseman was installed in 1990 and is entitled "Subway Wall". The North end has an extreme taper. Exits lead to Cedar, Pine, William Street (North), Pine, Pearl and William (Center and Wall and William Streets (South). The station was renovated in 1993 by NYCT in house contract. Mosaic direction signs are present. Artwork is by Harry Roseman and was installed in 1990. It features area geology in Bronze relief and is entitleD "Subway Wall."   

________________

FULTON STREET

 

Fulton Street on William Street at Fulton Street) opened on 08/01/1918 and is described on the Complexes Page

________________

PARK PLACE

 

Park Place (Between Church Street and Broadway at Park Place) opened on 08/01/1918 and is described on the Complexes Page

____________________

CHAMBERS STREET

 

Chambers Street (On West Broadway at Chambers Street) opened on 07/01/1918 and has four tracks and two island platforms. This station has now been partially  renovated The station has crossovers. Much of the station has a fairly high ceiling . The South ends of the platforms are split with the local tracks slightly higher. The exit is to Chambers Street and West Broadway

________________

14  STREET

 

14th Street (on 7th Avenue at West 14th Street) opened 07/01/1918 and is described on the Complexes Page

________________

34  STREET

PENN STATION

 

34th Street Penn Station (on 7th Avenue at West 34th Street) opened on 07/01/1918 and has four tracks a wall platform for Northbound local, Island platform for express trains and a wall platform for southbound local. This station has crossunders as well as some booths on platform level. Artwork is entitled “When the Animals Speak…”   by Elizabeth Grajales, 1997.It is Ceramic mosaic on  platform; handmade ceramic relief tiles on the platform walls

In her series of mosaics, Grajales shows wild beasts in a pastoral setting, reminiscent of the 19th-century paintings such as the "Peaceable Kingdom" by Edward Hicks. One features a pair of lions happily coexisting with birds. A nearby stream (representing the Hudson River) with cliffs behind (the Palisades in New Jersey) form the backdrop. In another mosaic, a bear contentedly watches a doe and her young. Other panels show birds in flight and nesting. "As a child on shopping trips," notes Grajales, "I found the station dull and colorless. I wanted to give people something cheerful but also calming - a refuge in the city. That's why I used gentle colors like golden ochre and pale blues and greens for these idyllic Garden of Eden scenes."

The mezzanine is below the tracks and is a direct connection to NY Penn Station. The south end features an interesting stairway. The express platform is offset from the local platforms. 

________________

42  STREET

 

42nd Street Times Square (on 7th Avenue at West 42nd Street) follows and is also described on the Complexes page

________________

72  STREET

 

 72nd Street (on Broadway at West 72nd Street) opened on 10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two island Platforms and was renovated in 2000. Art work is a glass block wall and skylight. The artwork is entitled "Laced Canopy" and is by Robert Hickman, It features notes from Verdi’s opera, Rigeletto. The area has a nearby Verdi Park. The South exit features the original historic entrance leading to 71st and 72nd Streets and the North Entrance, which is new, leads to 72nd and 73rd Streets. The station has full ADA access at the new north entrance fare control only. There is no ADA access from the South exit.(on Broadway at 72nd Street) opened on10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two island Platforms and was renovated in 2000. Art work is a glass block wall and skylight. The artwork is entitled “Laced Canopy” and is by Robert Hickman,. The skylight is Mosaic glass in north control house

Laced Canopy has over 100 decorative glass mosaic panels - over one million fragments of glass - installed in the skylight of the subway control house, the first above-ground station house built in New York in over a century. The work's light and lacy effect is achieved from trapping the mosaic fragments between two sheets of specially fabricated glass. The knots interwoven into the composition are also representations of musical notes from Giuseppe Verdi's opera Rigeletto, referencing Verdi Park, in which the station is located, and the nearby Metropolitan Opera. Robert Hickman describes the sparkling canopy as "a delicate covering of crushed diamonds." Nineteenth-century English sources inform the work, whose concept is based on the 1851 London Crystal Palace; William Morris fabric and wallpaper designs, as well as Greco-Roman knot patterns, are incorporated as motifs.

The area has a nearby Verdi Park. The South exit features the original historic entrance leading to 71st and 72nd Streets and the North Entrance, which is new, leads to 72nd and 73rd Streets. The station has full ADA access. 

________________

96  STREET

 

96th Street on Broadway at West 96th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has four tracks, two island platforms and two short wall platforms at the North end. As built, the locals were five cars and used the wall platforms and the express trains used the island platforms. When the locals were lengthened to ten cars, the wall platforms were used only for the booths. The station has at crossover at the South end leading to 94th Street and a crossunder at the North end leading to 96th Street. The full time booths are at 94th street at the south end and west side of 96th street at the north end. A Tower is present at the 96th street full time area. a. A tower is present at the 96th  street full time area. Since renovation the crossunder is closed to the public and a new street level booth is present at the 96th Street .Artwork is entitled Antenna Design New York (Masamichi Udagawa + Sigi Moeslinger) Bloemendaal, 2010. It is Stainless Steel

Within the vaulted ceiling area of the new station house located on Broadway between 95th and 96th Streets, the artists have created a profusion of flowers that appear animated. The hanging sculptural work consists of 180 polished stainless steel flowers linked together and arranged in rows that flow from the structure's steel traverse beams, creating ethereal layers of reflective surfaces with an almost ghost-like presence.

The artists' intent is to reflect the community's historic roots as Bloomingdale, derived from the Dutch "Bloemendaal" - Vale of Flowers. The installation is a memento of nature past, reminding subway riders of a time before the area became an urban neighborhood, changing their perception of place for a few fleeting moments.

The organic arrangement of the flowers and their light and airy quality bring life to the soaring volume of the interior space. At night, ceiling lights cause the flowers to glimmer and the overall effect is a subtle yet lyrical evocation of the idea of gardens and light. As transit riders emerge from the subway and climb stairs up to the street level, they glimpse the layered flowers, which change in appearance as people move past.

Leaving here, the express tracks descend and turn off. Under 104th street where there is a wide area and an employee platform with emergency exit to the 1 train. I have been informed by RTO Personnel that there used to be at third track here which is long gone. We curve again and enter our first station on Lenox Avenue).

________________

 

________________________

34 STREET

PENNSYLVANIA STATION

 

34th Street Penn Station (on 7th Avenue at West 34th Street) opened on 07/01/1918 and has four tracks a wall platform for Northbound local, Island platform for express trains and a wall platform for southbound local. This station has crossunders as well as some booths on platform level. Artwork is entitled "When the Animals Speak…" by Elizabeth Grajales, 1997.it features animal courtship and rearing of their young. The mezzanine is below the tracks and is a direct connection to NY Penn Station. 

____________________

42  street

TIMES SQUARE

 

42nd Street Times Square (on 7th Avenue at West 42nd Street) is also described on the Complexes page.

____________________

72 street

 

72nd Street (on Broadway at West 72nd Street) opened on 10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two island Platforms and was renovated in 2000. Art work is a glass block wall and skylight. The artwork is entitled "Laced Canopy" and is by Robert Hickman, It features notes from Verdi’s opera, Rigeletto. The area has a nearby Verdi Park. The South exit features the original historic entrance leading to 71st and 72nd Streets and the North Entrance, which is new, leads to 72nd and 73rd Streets. The station has full ADA access at the new north entrance fare control only. There is no ADA access from the South exit. 

____________________

96  street

 

96th Street (on Broadway at West 96th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has four tracks, two island platforms and two short wall platforms at the North end. As built, the locals were five cars and used the wall platforms and the express trains used the island platforms. When the locals were lengthened to ten cars, the wall platforms were used only for the booths. The station has at crossover at the South end leading to 94th Street and a crossunder at the North end leading to 96th Street. the fulltime booths are at 94th Street at the south end and west side of 96th street at the north end . A tower is present at the 96th  street fulltime area. Since renovation the crossunder is closed to the public and a new street level booth is present at the 96th Street end.

Leaving here, the express tracks descend and turn off. Under 104th street where there is a wide area and an employee platform with emergency exit to the 1 train. I have been informed by RTO Personnel that there used to be at third track here which is long gone. We curve again and enter our first station on Lenox Avenue).

____________________

11O street

CENTRAL PARK NORTH

 

 110th Street Central Park North (on Lenox Avenue at 110th Street) opened on 11/23/1904 with two tracks and an island platform. The station has been renovated and features an exit to 111th Street with HEETs at the North end and the booth at the South end to 110th Street. The 111th exit was the original end of platform prior to being extended and for many years had the booth located there. After the renovation, the full time booth was relocated back to 110th/Central Park North exit, and a new staircase was built The original mosaics on the track walls were restored and a new artwork entitled "Message from Malcom [X}" by Maren Hassinger, 1998. The art features a quote from Malcom on the Northbound Side "I lived in Egypt. I stayed in Egypt and I was among Brothers and I felt the spirit of Brotherhood." The platform has a severe taper at the North end and has vent chambers.

The next three stations have extensive art. Click here for more information

____________________

116  street

 

116th Street (on Lenox Avenue at 116th Street) opened on 11/23/1904 and has two wall platforms and two tracks and has been renovated. There is no crossover or crossunder. The artwork is by Vincent Smith and was installed in 1999. It features prominent African American locations and people Downtown features the Apollo Theater, Studio musicians, National Black Theater, Malcom Shubazz Masjid, Harlem Hospital, Schomberg Center, Abyssinian Baptist Church , State Office Building, Theresa Powers and people associated with these places Uptown features Minton’s Playhouse which was at 208 West 118th Street. This was a jazz club where Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie played. Fare control is at the center. Some new tablets were found along with some original and restored tablets and cartouches.

____________________

125  street

 

125th Street (on Lenox Avenue at 125th Street) opened on 11/23/1904 and also has two tracks, two wall platforms and no crossover or crossunder. It has been renovated. Fare control is at platform level. Artwork is by Faith Ringold as assisted by Tim Tait Designs and was installed in 1996. It is entitled "Flying Home" and features prominent African Americans in a flying position. Uptown has the Schomberg Library, Madame Walker’s Beauty Parlor and Berlin’s Olympic Stadium, Abyssinian Baptist Church, NAACP, National Council of Negro women (NCNW) and the Theresa Hotel. Downtown features the Apollo Theater, Cotton Club, Harlem Opera House, Yankee Stadium, and the Studio Museum in Harlem. All scenes include people associated with these places.

____________________

135 street

 

135th Street (on Lenox Avenue at 135th Street) opened on 11/23/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms, no crossover or crossunder and has been renovated. Fare control is at platform level. Artwork is by Willie Birch and was installed in 1995. It is entitled "Harlem Time Line". Uptown features "Black Manhattan" with Malcom X, City Hall, and John Coltrane, Paul Robeson, Sunday morning, woman in yellow, 1926 Harlem General Hospital, 135th Street and Lenox Avenue.

"Village of Harlem" with Children at play, Thelonius Monk, Father Divine, Billie Holiday, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, Abyssinian Baptist Church, UNIA Parade and Marcus Garvey.

Downtown features "What’s in My Hand with Adam Layton Powell Jr., Clara Ward, Nail and parker Building, Abyssinian Baptist Church parade, Checker Players, Charlie Parker, 135th Street and Lenox Avenue,135th Street Library, Schomberg Center, and the Bird of Sankofa " If you don’t know where you come from how do you know where to go?". Downtown also features "Black Bird" with Kids at study, Ira Aldridge, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, W.E.B. DuBois and Florence Mills.

Bronx Tile Band

____________________

149  street

GRAND CONCOURSE

149th Street Grand Concourse (on East 149th Street at Grand Concourse  ) 07/10/1905 and has two levels. At street level is an  original Mott Avenue  Tablet. For a photo see the Late Great NYCT Page. It is discussed on the complexes page

____________________

149  street

THIRD AVENUE

149th Street Third Avenue (on East 149th Street at third Avenue) opened on 07/10/1905 and has been renovated. It has two tracks and two wall platforms. It has full ADA with no crossunder or crossover. Artwork entitled "Una Raza, Un Mundo, Un Universo" (One Race, One World, one universe) was installed in 1996 by Jose Ortega. There are two ghost booths here which issued bus transfers no made obsolete by the MetroCard. The Door near fare control is actually part of passageway to the Third avenue el. Your staff is upset about their decision to remove the "3" tablets from the station and cover the 3rd Ave station mosaic. We leave the subway and become an el.

____________________

JACKSON  AVENUE

 

Jackson Avenue (on Westchester Avenue at Jackson Avenue) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. Historic details were restored. . Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. Artwork is faceted glass is by George Crespo and was installed in 2009. it entitled " Latin American Stories " and features Latin American Fairy tales, myth and folklore.

Southbound features Rain, Wind Fire:

  • "How frogs brought rain to Mexico"
  • "The Condor King"
  • "How fire came to the rain forest"

Northbound features Love and creation

  • "The king that tried to touch the moon from the Lesser Antilles"
  • "The beginning of the sea"
  • A Latin American Version of Cinderella

____________________

PROSPECT AVENUE

 

Prospect Avenue (on Westchester Avenue at Prospect Avenue) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. Historic details were restored.  Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. Artwork, installed in 2008 is by Marina T Sersarskaya and is entitle "Bronx Four Seasons". it is faceted Glass. 

____________________

 

INTERVALE AVENUE

 

Intervale Avenue (on Westchester Avenue at Intervale Avenue (East 163rd Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. After a fire, it was planed to close the station but the community forced a rebuild. It is now all metal and out of character with the rest of the line. The original name was 163rd Street. Artwork is in the mezzanine and is entitled "The Els 2" and "The Els 5" installed in 1992. The Artist is Michael Kelly Williams. 

____________________

SIMPSON  street

 

Simpson Street (on Westchester Avenue at Simpson Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. Historic details were restored.  Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. Artwork is by Lisa Amowitz . it was installed in 2008 and is faceted glass. it is entitled "Urban Renewal. Lisa's interpretive statement is in part" Structures, although built to last are fragile, while flowers represent the eternal through renewal, rebirth and rebuilding."

It shows fallen buildings "comforted"  by flowers.

_________________________________

FREEMAN  street

 

Freeman Street (on Southern Boulevard at Freeman Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder Historic details were restored.  This station is on a curve. The Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. This station is known for two items:

  • It was a terminus for 2nd and 3rd Avenue el trains from Manhattan where there was a connection near 149th Street.
  • The north end of this station was a backdrop for the opening scene of "Fort Apache, The Bronx (1981).

This site encourages respects of any law enforcement officer.

Artwork in faceted glass was installed in 2007. it is by Daniel Hauben and is entitled "The El."

____________________

174  street

 

174th Street on Boston Road at East 174th Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. Historic details were restored. Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. Faceted glass Artwork was installed in 2004.it is by Daniel Del Valle and is entitled" A Trip Up the Bronx River." it features a group canoeing the Bronx River and passing attractions such as the Bronx Zoo, The New York Botanical Garden and area activities.

_______________________

WEST FARMS SQUARE

EAST TREMONT AVENUE

 

West Farms Square East Tremont Avenue (on Boston Road at East Tremont Avenue) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. Estimated cost for renovation is $11 million and is an in house contract by NYCT. Original name was East 177th Street.  North of this station is a spur ,now abandoned and discussed below, which lead to East 180th Street (not current East 180th Street Station.) the line was planned to go straight but was rerouted after objections from the zoo (Source: Joe Cunningham).

Artwork is by Naomi Campbell. it is faceted glass and was installed in 2004 . It is entitled "Animal Tracks" and also pays homage to the Bronx Zoo Area nearby .

____________________________

180 STREET  BRONX PARK

 

The spur station, called 180th Street Bronx Park on Boston Road at East 180th Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and closed on 08/04/1952 We now have a sharp S Curve. After the first curve near East Tremont Avenue we see the remains of a "fourth track" alongside the n/b track. Bronx Park el  also had another track parallel to the uptown platform track. It was connected to a car elevator which brought cars to a storage shed on ground level. It was primarily used to store the open air Manhattan el cars (1219-1254), starting in 1902..
 

_______________________

EAST 180 STREET

  

East 180th Street (on White Plains Road at East 180th Street) opened on 03/03/1917 and has three tracks and two Island platforms. The station used to have an escalator to the street but was lowered (Source; NYCT Superintendent and Supervisor) has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder). A walk under the structure reveals the location of the escalator. 

Artwork is by Luisa Caldwell and is entitled Station Villa, 2011. It is Laminated glass, stone and glass mosaic

Inspired by the historic 1912 Italianate villa structure of the station and its proximity to the Bronx Zoo, Luisa Caldwell created a series of colorful and lively artworks with references to classical beauty, reflective of the architectural style of the original building.

Fifteen unique and site-specific pieces are placed throughout the station. Above the doorway entrance, there are three lush and vibrant floral bouquets with an elk and elephant welcoming the traveler and serving as a Bronx Zoo reference. Along the corridor, mosaic and glass artworks are on opposite walls. In the windows, glass panels reflect the arches of the historic station, flowers, and vines, creating an illusion of depth and light. On the walls, mosaic frames of silver mirror reflect the thematic arches and complete an effect of calmness sought by the artist, who follows feng-shui principles. These works are balanced with five additional mosaics within the station. Two are located next to the stairs and portray small creatures and vases reminiscent of the niche bouquets at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Along the East 180th Street corridor that serves as a station exit, there are three more mosaics created with a blend of stones that echo the massive rock outcroppings found throughout the Bronx. A colorful peacock and lizard sit on the rocks, looking like they are taking a break from the nearby zoo.

One important element was donated to the project by construction contractor Citnalta.  Company President Mike Gargiulo visited the job and felt that the historic building was missing just one thing – a clock.  Having studied historical preservation in college, he thought a clock would add a lot to the project. Some electronic sleuthing turned up old images showing the original clock.  A similar item was sourced from Electric Time Co. in Massachusetts.  The old images were sent up to them and they suggested a clock that would fit the design of the early 20th Century transportation building.“We at Citnalta, with NYC Transit’s and Lee Harris Pomeroy’s permission, donated the clock and the installation, because we thought it completed the look, making a great renovation just a little bit nicer,” said Gargiulo.

A yard and shop are to the West of the station and the abandoned NYW&B station to our east (See NYWB Port Chester Service and NYWB White Plains Service. )The 2 train and 5 train split here via flyover ramps. North of here we see the Unionport Yard to our East. From here to 241st has also been renovated . The contractor was Judlau Construction.

East 180 before clock    East 180 with clock

_______________________

BRONX PARK EASTARK EAST

Bronx Park East (on White Plains Road at Bronx {Park East )opened on 03/03/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder. Faceted Glass artwork was installed  in  2006.it is entitled" B is for Birds in the Bronx" and is by Candid Alvarez.

_______________________

PELHAM  PARKWAY

Pelham Parkway (On White Plains Road at Pelham Parkway) opened on 03/03/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder. faceted glass artwork by Tomi Avai  was installed in 2006 . it is entitled " Back to the Garden." it features nature scenes and fall foliage in the Pelham Parkway area.

_______________________

ALLERTON AVENUE

ALLERTON AVENUE

Allerton Avenue (on White Plains Road at Allerton Avenue) opened on 03/03/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder . Faceted glass artwork was installed in 2006. it is entitled " Allerton Mandalas" and is by Michele Brody. it features abstract patters.

_______________________

BURKE AVENUE AV

ENUE

Burke Avenue (On White Plains Road at Burke Avenue) opened on 03/03/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder. Faceted Glass artwork is by Beatrice Coron and was installed in 2006. It is entitled "Bronx Literature." It features the literary heritage of the Bronx such as Edgar Allan Poe and Mark Twain. Scenes portrayed include:

  • Poe's poems
  • Sholem Alchemy
  • James Baldwin
  • Nicholas Mohr

_______________________

 GUN HILL ROAD

 

Gun Hill Road (on White Plains Road at Gun Hill Road) opened on 03/03/1917 and has three tracks and two island platforms and a crossunder Estimated $ cost is not available.There are some skeletal remains of the Third Avenue El which used the lower level but it it has been totally removed and  the current structure lowered. Faceted glass artwork by Andrea Arroyo was installed in 2006. It is entitled "Mi Sol, Mi Planeta, Mi Ciudad (My Sun, My Planet, My City.")

_______________________

219  STREET

 

219th Street (on White Plains Road at East 219th Street) opened on 03/03/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder .Fused glass artwork by Joseph D'Alesandro was installed in 2006 and features silhouettes of people.

_______________________

225 STREET225

th STREET

225th Street (on White Plains Road at East 225th Street) opened on 03/31/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder . Nicky Enright has the faceted glass artwork here. It was installed in 2006 and is entitled "Universal City." it features cityscapes.

_______________________

2233  STREET33r

d  STREET

233rd Street (on White Plains Road at East 233rd Street) opened on 03/31/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder . Faceted glass artwork was installed in 2006. it is by Skowmon Hastanan and is entitled " A Secret Garden. There's No Place Like Home."

The artwork features the Botanical garden, fish, flowers and greenery. 

_______________________

NEREID AVENUE

238 STREET AVENUE

238th STREET

Nereid Avenue 238th Street (on White Plains Road at East 238th Street) opened on 03/31/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder. Artwork in faceted glass is by Noel Copeland and was installed in 2006. it is entitled "Leaf of Life" and features Bronx flora and fauna.

______________________________

2W

241 STREET

WAKEFIELD WAkefil;e41st   STREET

WAKEFIELD

241 Street Wakefield (On White Plains Road at east 241st Street) opened 12/31/1920 and has two tracks, two closed wall platforms and an island platform

 

Contact us at (subway-buff@stationreporter.net

 Last revised 1/7/13

Home > NYCT > Transit Today> A Division> 2 Train

All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.

Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"