|Home||NYCT||Staten Island||Port Authority||NYC Commuter Rail||America||The World||Contributors||Links|
|Transit Tech||Transit Then||Transit Today||Transit Tomorrow|
For photos please see www nycsubway.org
New Lots Avenue (on Livonia Avenue at New Lots Avenue) opened on 10/16/1922 and has two tracks and an island platform. Tracks continue east (system South) of this station and curve Southward to a yard). Canopy covers most of the platform and is metal and the mezzanine with a crossunder is wood and is at the South end.
Van Siclen Avenue (On Livonia Avenue at Van Siclen Avenue) opened on 10/16/1922 and has two tracks and two wall platforms with space for a third track the exit is at the south end. Mezzanine with crossunder is wood. Canopy is metal. No windscreen is at the ends of the platforms. Exit is at the south end. No North exit found. If it existed it must have been dual stairs .
Pennsylvania Avenue (on Livonia Avenue at Pennsylvania Avenue) opened on 12/24/1920 and has two tracks and two wall platforms with space for a third track Mezzanine with crossunder is wood. Canopy is metal with No windscreen is at the ends of the platforms. Exit is at the south end. No North exit found. If it existed it must have been dual stairs
Junius Street (On Livonia Avenue at Junius Street) opened on 12/24/1920 and has two tracks and two wall platforms with space for a third track Mezzanine with crossunder is wood. Canopy is metal. The exit is at the North (West) end. The south exit is removed and leads to the bridge to the L Train. This station has a third track with no third rail and leads to Linden Shops and the New York and Atlantic Railroad This station is a highlight of the line due to passing over the L Train’s Livonia Avenue Station, and is very high .
Rockaway Avenue (on Livonia Avenue at Rockaway Avenue) opened on 12/24/1920 and has two tracks and two wall platforms with space for a third track Mezzanine with crossunder is wood. Canopy is metal
Saratoga Avenue (on Livonia Avenue at Saratoga Avenue) opened on 12/24/1920 and has two tracks and two wall platforms with space for a third track Mezzanine with crossunder is wood. Canopy is metal; Exit is near the center with an extra exit bypassing the mezzanine southbound. We curve off Livonia Avenue.
Sutter Avenue/ Rutland Road (on East 98th Street at Sutter Avenue and Rutland Road) opened 12/24/1920 and two tracks and two wall platforms with space for a third track Mezzanine with crossunder is wood. Canopy is metal. This station is over East 98th Street.. Leaving here we descend into the subway.
The line now becomes two levels with the upper level serving southbound (Brooklyn) and the lower level serving Northbound (Manhattan and Bronx) A small yard is between here and the next station
Utica Avenue (on Eastern Parkway at Utica Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks and dual level island platforms with Manhattan bound trains using the lower level and southbound trains using the upper level . The station has been renovated and features a day and night theme with a day theme (Blue with Yellow) on the Northbound and night theme (Yellow with Blue) on the Southbound. The moons on the night theme are similar to the Honeymooner's moon. North exit is to Schenectady Avenue and the Sought Exit is to Utica Avenue. The local (3 train) is on the West track on each level and the express (4 train) is on the East Track
Kingston Avenue (on Eastern Parkway at Kingston Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks and a wall platform on the south side on each level. Like Utica Avenue, the Manhattan bound trains are on the lower level while New Lots bound trains use the upper level. 4 trains bypass this station on the north track.
Nostrand Avenue (on Eastern Parkway at Nostrand Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks and a wall platform on the south on each level. Like Utica Avenue, the Manhattan bound trains are on the lower level while New Lots bound trains use the upper level. 4 trains skip bypass this station on the north track.
Franklin Avenue is discussed on the complexes page
Eastern Parkway Brooklyn Museum ( off Washington Avenue at Eastern Parkway) opened on 08/23/1920 and has two tracks, two wall platforms. There is an emergency exit from the express tracks (on a lower level) at the south end of both platforms and the North end has an emergency exit to the street and a ghost booth. The station has just been renovated by Citnalta Construction and is spotless. Mosaic directional signs were found. Artwork is entitled “New York City Architectural Artifacts from the Collection of the Brooklyn Museum” and was installed in 2004. It is curated by Farancz Painting Conservation Studio and features gargoyles and friezes from NYC buildings. For a track map of the Eastern Parkway Trunk Line see www.nycsubway.org
Grand Army Plaza (on Flatbush Avenue at Grand Army Plaza) opened on 08/23/1920 and has two tracks and a very wide Island Platform Artwork is by Jane Greengold and is entitled “Wings for the IRT… The Irresistible Romance of Travel” and was installed in 1995. The art features angels gesturing toward an R62 car (See www.nycsubway.org for photos and a track map.) No evidence of emergency exits was found unless inside one of many rooms on the platform.
Bergen Street (on Flatbush Avenue at Bergen Street) opened on 08/23/1920 and has four tracks and two wall platforms separate by a curtain wall (from the center it looks like one track but at the North end you can se the express tracks used by the 4 train Booths are at the platform level with no crossover or crossunder . This station has not been renovated.
Atlantic Avenue Barclays Center (on Flatbush Avenue at Atlantic Avenue) opened on 05/01/1908 and is described on the Complexes page
Nevins Street (on Flatbush Avenue at Fulton Street and Nevins Street) opened on 05/01/1908 and has four tracks ands two island platforms with the tower between the two express tracks which was once a track. For more info see www.nycsubway.org. The current layout has a crossunder which hides the abandoned lower level. Brennan's Page has more information. This station is very shallow and often has standing water of the platforms. This station has been renovated and features Artwork in the mezzanine which has no crossover on each side of Fulton Street. Both platforms taper at the south end
Hoyt Street Fulton Mall (on Fulton Mall at Hoyt Street) opened on 05/01/1908 with four tracks and two wall platforms. There used to be a crossunder to the former Abraham and Straus (Now Macy’s) Department store but was sealed when the station was renovated in the 1970s. The renovation covered the original tablets and tile which remains only at the south end.
Borough Hall is described on the Complexes Page
Clark Street (inside the Saint George Hotel) opened on 04/15/1919 and has two tracks and an island platform in a tube design. The station has a secondary name of Brooklyn Heights Exit is up to the lower mezzanine and then elevators to the street. The exit is at street level via an arcade with shops and the Hotel St. George. The lower mezzanine features artwork on the floor by Ray Ring, installed 1987 entitled “In Celebration of Lazlo” and features geometric shapes. This is the last stop in Brooklyn .
Wall Street (on William Street at Wall Street) opened on 08/01/1918 and is the first stop in Manhattan and has two tracks and a narrow island platform. There is a passageway outside the paid area to Broad Street on the J Train. Artwork by Harry Roseman was installed in 1990 and is entitled “Subway Wall”. The North end has an extreme taper. Exits lead to Cedar, Pine, William Street (North), Pine, Pearl and William (Center and Wall and William Streets (South). The station was renovated in 1993 by NYCT in house contract. Mosaic direction signs are present.
Fulton Street (On William Street at Fulton Street) IRT opened on 08/01/1918 and is described on the Complexes Page
Park Place (Between Church Street and Broadway at Park Place) opened on 08/01/1918 and is described on the Complexes Page
Chambers Street (On West Broadway at Chambers Street) opened 07/01/1019 with four tracks and two island platforms. The station has crossovers. Much of the station has a fairly high ceiling. The South ends of the platforms are split with the local tracks slightly higher. The exit is to Chambers Street and West Broadway .
14th Street on 7th Avenue at West 14th Street) opened on 07/01/1918 and is described on the Complexes Page .
34th Street Penn Station (on 7th Avenue at West 34th Street) opened on 07/01/1918 and has four tracks a wall platform for Northbound local, Island platform for express trains and a wall platform for southbound local. This station has crossunders as well as some booths on platform level. Artwork is entitled “When the Animals Speak…” by Elizabeth Grajales, 1997.It is Ceramic mosaic on platform; handmade ceramic relief tiles on the platform walls
In her series of mosaics, Grajales shows wild beasts in a pastoral setting, reminiscent of the 19th-century paintings such as the "Peaceable Kingdom" by Edward Hicks. One features a pair of lions happily coexisting with birds. A nearby stream (representing the Hudson River) with cliffs behind (the Palisades in New Jersey) form the backdrop. In another mosaic, a bear contentedly watches a doe and her young. Other panels show birds in flight and nesting. "As a child on shopping trips," notes Grajales, "I found the station dull and colorless. I wanted to give people something cheerful but also calming - a refuge in the city. That's why I used gentle colors like golden ochre and pale blues and greens for these idyllic Garden of Eden scenes."
The mezzanine is below the tracks and is a direct connection to NY Penn Station. The south end features an interesting stairway. The express platform is offset from the local platforms.
42nd Street Times Square (on 7th Avenue at West 42nd Street) follows and is also described on the Complexes page.
72nd Street (on Broadway at West 72nd Street) opened on 10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two island Platforms and was renovated in 2000. Art work is a glass block wall and skylight. The artwork is entitled "Laced Canopy" and is by Robert Hickman, It features notes from Verdi’s opera, Rigeletto. The area has a nearby Verdi Park. The South exit features the original historic entrance leading to 71st and 72nd Streets and the North Entrance, which is new, leads to 72nd and 73rd Streets. The station has full ADA access at the new north entrance fare control only. There is no ADA access from the South exit.(on Broadway at 72nd Street) opened on10/27/1904 and has four tracks and two island Platforms and was renovated in 2000. Art work is a glass block wall and skylight. The artwork is entitled “Laced Canopy” and is by Robert Hickman,. The skylight is Mosaic glass in north control house
Laced Canopy has over 100 decorative glass mosaic panels - over one million fragments of glass - installed in the skylight of the subway control house, the first above-ground station house built in New York in over a century. The work's light and lacy effect is achieved from trapping the mosaic fragments between two sheets of specially fabricated glass. The knots interwoven into the composition are also representations of musical notes from Giuseppe Verdi's opera Rigoletto, referencing Verdi Park, in which the station is located, and the nearby Metropolitan Opera. Robert Hickman describes the sparkling canopy as "a delicate covering of crushed diamonds." Nineteenth-century English sources inform the work, whose concept is based on the 1851 London Crystal Palace; William Morris fabric and wallpaper designs, as well as Greco-Roman knot patterns, are incorporated as motifs.
The area has a nearby Verdi Park. The South exit features the original historic entrance leading to 71st and 72nd Streets and the North Entrance, which is new, leads to 72nd and 73rd Streets. The station has full ADA access.
96th Street on Broadway at West 96th Street) opened 10/27/1904 and has four tracks, two island platforms and two short wall platforms at the North end. As built, the locals were five cars and used the wall platforms and the express trains used the island platforms. When the locals were lengthened to ten cars, the wall platforms were used only for the booths. The station has at crossover at the South end leading to 94th Street and a crossunder at the North end leading to 96th Street. The full time booths are at 94th street at the south end and west side of 96th street at the north end. A Tower is present at the 96th street full time area. a. A tower is present at the 96th street full time area. Since renovation the crossunder is closed to the public and a new street level booth is present at the 96th Street .Artwork is entitledAntenna Design New York (Masamichi Udagawa + Sigi Moeslinger) Bloemendaal, 2010. It is Stainless Steel
Within the vaulted ceiling area of the new station house located on Broadway between 95th and 96th Streets, the artists have created a profusion of flowers that appear animated. The hanging sculptural work consists of 180 polished stainless steel flowers linked together and arranged in rows that flow from the structure's steel traverse beams, creating ethereal layers of reflective surfaces with an almost ghost-like presence.
The artists' intent is to reflect the community's historic roots as Bloomingdale, derived from the Dutch "Bloemendaal" - Vale of Flowers. The installation is a memento of nature past, reminding subway riders of a time before the area became an urban neighborhood, changing their perception of place for a few fleeting moments.
The organic arrangement of the flowers and their light and airy quality bring life to the soaring volume of the interior space. At night, ceiling lights cause the flowers to glimmer and the overall effect is a subtle yet lyrical evocation of the idea of gardens and light. As transit riders emerge from the subway and climb stairs up to the street level, they glimpse the layered flowers, which change in appearance as people move past.
Leaving here, the express tracks descend and turn off. Under 104th street where there is a wide area and an employee platform with emergency exit to the 1 train. I have been informed by RTO Personnel that there used to be at third track here which is long gone. We curve again and enter our first station on Lenox Avenue).
110th Street Central Park North (on Lenox Avenue at 110th Street) opened on 11/23/1904 with two tracks and an island platform. The station has been renovated and features an exit to 111th Street with HEETs at the North end and the booth at the South end to 110th Street. The 111th exit was the original end of platform prior to being extended and for many years had the booth located there. After the renovation, the f/t booth was relocated back to 110th/Central Park North exit, and a new staircase was built The original mosaics on the track walls were restored and a new artwork entitled "Message from Malcom [X}" by Maren Hassinger, 1998. The art features a quote from Malcom on the Northbound Side "I lived in Egypt. I stayed in Egypt and I was among Brothers and I felt the spirit of Brotherhood." The platform has a severe taper at the North end and has vent chambers.
The next three stations have extensive art. Click here for more information
116th Street (on Lenox Avenue at 116th Street) opened 11/23/1904 and has two wall platforms and two tracks and has been renovated. There is no crossover or crossunder. The artwork is by Vincent Smith and was installed in 1999. It features prominent African American locations and people Downtown features the Apollo Theater, Studio musicians, National Black Theater, Malcom Shubazz Masjid, Harlem Hospital, Schomberg Center, Abyssinian Baptist Church , State Office Building, Theresa Powers and people associated with these places Uptown features Minton’s Playhouse which was at 208 West 118th Street. This was a jazz club where Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie played. Fare control is at the center. Some new tablets were found along with some original and restored tablets and cartouches.
125th Street (on Lenox Avenue at 125th Street) opened 11/23/1904 and also has two tracks, two wall platforms and no crossover or crossunder. It has been renovated. Fare control is at platform level. Artwork is by Faith Ringold as assisted by Tim Tait Designs and was installed in 1996. It is entitled “Flying Home” and features prominent African Americans in a flying position. Uptown has the Schomberg Library, Madame Walker’s Beauty Parlor and Berlin’s Olympic Stadium, Abyssinian Baptist Church, NAACP, National Council of Negro women (NCNW) and the Theresa Hotel. Downtown features the Apollo Theater, Cotton Club, Harlem Opera House, Yankee Stadium, and the Studio Museum in Harlem. All scenes include people associated with these places.
135th Street (on Lenox Avenue at 135th Street) opened 11/231904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms, no crossover or crossunder and has been renovated. Fare control is at platform level. Artwork is by Willie Birch and was installed in 1995. It is entitled “Harlem Time Line”
Uptown features “Black Manhattan” with Malcom X, City Hall, and John Coltrane, Paul Robeson, Sunday morning, woman in yellow, 1926 Harlem General Hospital, 135th Street and Lenox Avenue. “Village of Harlem” with Children at play, Thelonius Monk, Father Divine, Billie Holiday,, Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, Abyssinian Baptist Church, UNIA Parade and Marcus Garvey.
Downtown features “What’s in My Hand with Adam Layton Powell Jr., Clara Ward, Nail and parker BUILDING, Abyssinian Baptist Church parade, Checker Players, Charlie Parker, 135th Street and Lenox Avenue,135th Street Library, Schomberg Center, and the Bird of Sankofa “ If you don’t know where you come from how do you know where to go?”. Downtown also features “Black Bird” with Kids at study, Ira Aldridge, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, W.E.B. DuBois and Florence Mills.
145th Street (on Lenox Avenue at 145th Street) opened 11/23/1904 and has two tracks and two short, five car wall platforms. Northbound has no booth but only two High exits at the ends. An old tower or dispatcher’s booth is at the South end of the northbound platform. Southbound has a booth at platform level. This station needs major TLC.
148th Street Lenox Terminal (on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard at 148th Street) opened on 05/13/1968 is next and last with two tracks and an island platform. A yard is to our East. This station is in an open cut. The South end gives a view of the Harlem River and Yankee Stadium. The booth is at the north end at Street level. This is the newest station on the IRT lines
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.
Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"