Home   NYCT   Staten Island   Port Authority   NYC Commuter Rail   America  The World    Contributors   Links

 

Transit Tech   Transit Then   Transit Today   Transit Tomorrow

 

           

  4 Train Tablet4 Train Digital Sign

Brooklyn Tile Band 

_____________________

UTICA  AVENUE

 

Utica Avenue (on Eastern Parkway at Utica Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks and dual level island platforms with Manhattan bound trains using the lower level and southbound trains using the upper level . The station has been renovated and features a day and night theme with a day theme (Blue with Yellow) on the Northbound and night theme (Yellow with Blue) on the Southbound. The moons on the night theme are similar to the Honeymooner's moon.  North exit is to Schenectady Avenue and the Sought Exit is to Utica Avenue. The local (3 train) is on the West track on each level and the express (4 train) is on the East Track (on Eastern Parkway At Utica Avenue) opened on 08/23/1920 and has two tracks and an island platform.

_____________________

FRANKLIN  AVENUE

 

Franklin Avenue  is discussed on the complexes page

_____________________

ATLANTIC  AVENUE BARCLAYS CENTER

 

Atlantic Avenue Barclays Center (on Flatbush Avenue at Atlantic Avenue) opened on 05/01/1908 and is described on the complexes page. 

_____________________

NEVINS STREET

 

Nevins Street (on Flatbush Avenue at Futon Street and Nevins Street) opened on 05/01/1908 and has four tracks ands two island platforms with the tower between the two express tracks which was once a track. For more info see www.nycsubway.org.  The current layout has a crossunder which hides the abandoned lower level. Brennan's Page has more information. This station is very shallow and often has standing water of the platforms. This station has been renovated and features Artwork in the mezzanine which has no crossover on each side of Fulton Street. Both platforms taper at the south end .

_____________________

BOROUGH HALL

 

Borough Hall is described on the Complexes Page 

 Manhattan Tile Band

_____________________

BOWLING GREEN

 

Bowling Green (on State Street and Battery Place) opened 07/10/1905 and has two tracks a wall platform serving northbound trains and an island platform serving southbound trains. The wall platform was added due to heavy ridership. A fence blocks access to the island platform for northbound traffic. The wall platform was dug out of the tunnel walls. An unusual feature is use of the crossunder to exit via a lower mezzanine. The station also has a short, three car wall platform for use by the discontinued South Ferry Shuttle For more info see www.nycsubway,org and Brennan’s Page. 

_____________________

WALL STREET

 

Wall Street (on Broadway at Wall Street) opened on 06/12/1905 and has two tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. The blue tile has been removed in the current  renovation which restored the original white tiles. Southbound features an original wooden booth. A passageway exists outside of the paid area connecting to the J train 

_____________________

FULTON STREET

 

Fulton Street (on Broadway at Fulton Street) opened on 06/12/1905 and is described on the Complexes Page 

_____________________

BROOKLYN BRIDGE

CITY HALL

 

Brooklyn Bridge (On Park Row at City Hall Park )opened on 10/27/1904 and is discussed on the complexes page.  

_____________________

14 STREET

UNION SQUARE

 

14th Street Union Square opened on 10/27/1904 and is described on the Complexes Page 

_____________________

42 STREET

GRAND CENTRAL

 

42nd Street Grand Central opened 07/17/1918 and is described on the Complexes Page. Leaving here the line becomes two levels with the express on the lower level.  

_____________________

59 STREET

 

59th Street (on Lexington Avenue at East 59th Street) local opened on07/17/1918 and the express opened on 11/15/1962. It is described on the Complexes Page 

_____________________

86 STREET

 

86th Street (on Lexington Avenue at East 86th Street) opened on 07/17/1918 and has two tracks and two wall platforms on each level. It has been renovated by NYCT in house contract. There is no crossover or crossunder. Fare control is on the platform level.  Artwork by Peter Sis is etched stone and mosaic. Installed in  2004 it is entitled "Happy City." The art  has neighborhood buildings as the pupils of the eyes and eyelashes and figurative elements of neighborhood diversity and energy as the white of the eyes.

_____________________

125 STREET

125th Street (on Lexington Avenue at East 125th Street) opened on 07/17/1918 and has two tracks and an island platform on each level. The upper level is for northbound trains, while the lower level is for Manhattan bound trains. This station has been renovated fort he second time in 15 years. On the upper level The West track is used by the 6 train and the East track by the 4 train and the 5 train. The positions on the  lower level are switched, with the 4 train using the west track and the 6 train using the east track. this station is ADA accessible, with an elevator from the Northeast corner of 125th Street and Lexington Avenue to mezzanine level and a three stop elevator inside fare control to both platforms. The second and most recent renovation added a staircase from the Northern part of mezzanine downstairs  to the first platform. Artwork installed in 1986 is by Houston Conwill and is entitled " The Open Secret." It is a bronze relief. It features community history, sacred spaces as they relate to African American exploration and the quest for equality.

Bronx Tile Band 

_____________________

138 STREET

GRAND CONCOURSE

 

138th Street Grand Concourse (on Grand Concourse and East 138th Street) opened on 07/17/1918 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. The original name was Mott Haven as indicated on the icons. There is a crossover in this station which has metal signs covering the original tablets. The station needs TLC. 

_____________________

149 STREET

GRAND CONCOURSE

 

149th Street Grand Concourse (on Grand Concourse at East 149th Street) opened 07/10/1905 is discussed on the complexes page   At street level is an  original Mott Avenue  Tablet. For a photo see the Late Great NYCT page

 We now leave the subway and become an el on Jerome Avenue.

_____________________

161  STREET

YANKEE STADIUM

 

161st Street Yankee Stadium (on River Avenue at East 161st Street) IRT opened on 06/02/1917is described on the Complexes page 

_____________________

167  STREET

 

167th Street (on River Avenue at East 167th  Street) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. It has a crossunder. .Some remnants of the old 9th avenue el remain. It had an old sign for Home and Hospital, Daughters of Jacob, with the address nearby this station. It has been renovated at an estimated cost of $11.9 Million  . Faceted glass artwork by Carol Sun was installed in 2007. Entitled " A Bronx Reflection." it features The Bronx past, present and future.

_____________________

170  STREET

 

170th Street (on Jerome Avenue at East 170th Street) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. It has a crossunder and has been renovated at a cost of $8.5 Million .Faceted glass artwork by Dina Bursztyn was installed in 2006. It is entitled " A View from Above."

_____________________

MT EDEN AVENUE

 

Mt Eden Avenue (on Jerome Avenue at Mt. Eden Avenue) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms, It has a crossunder and was renovated at a cost of $11.1 million.  Faceted glass artwork was installed in 2006. it is by Amir Bey and is entitled "The Procession of Folk #3." It depicts the movement of humanity.

_____________________

176  STREET

 

176th Street (on Jerome Avenue at East 176th Street) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and has a crossunder. It was renovated at a cost of $10.8 million. Artwork in faceted glass was installed in 2006. It is by Juan Sánchez and is entitled "Reaching Out for Each Other." It features hands.

_____________________

BURNSIDE AVENUE

 

Burnside Avenue (on Jerome Avenue at Burnside Avenue) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two island platforms. It has a crossunder and had old poles with E. 180 (for East 180th Street) on them which have been removed. Renovation was at a cost of $12.5 million. Artwork of laminated glass was installed in 2008. It is by Laura Battle and is entitled "How to Get to the Moon." It features the phases of the moon, celestial navigation and orbs of the sun and moon.

_____________________

183  STREET

 

183rd Street (on Jerome Avenue at East 183rd Street) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. It has a crossunder. Renovation was at a cost of $12.6 million. Artwork in laminated glass is by Jose Ortiz. Installed in 2008, it is entitled "Many Trails."It features the culture and history of the University Heights neighborhood. 

_____________________

FORDHAM ROAD

 

Fordham Road  (on Jerome Avenue at Fordham Road) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. It has a crossunder and has been renovated at a cost of $16.5 million for renovation including full ADA access. Faceted and laminated glass artwork by   Moses Tros was installed in 2005. it is entitled "Patriasana, wholesome Land." The artwork features neighborhood life.

_____________________

KINGSBRIDGE ROAD

 

Kingsbridge Road (on Jerome Avenue at Kingsbridge Road) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. It has a crossunder. Renovation was at a cost of $12.7 million. Laminated glass artwork is by Mario M. Muller . Installed in 2007 it features  neighborhood diversity as seen through groups of people.

__________________________

BEDFORD PARK BOULEVARD

LEHMAN COLLEGE

 

Bedford Park Boulevard Lehman College (on Jerome Avenue at Bedford Park Boulevard ) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. It has a crossunder and tile mezzanine which is near the street. It has been adopted by Lehman College. It  has been  renovated at a cost of $11.4 million. Artwork is a mosaic in the mezzanine and is by Andrea Dezsö. It was installed in 2006 and is entitled "Community Garden."

_____________________

MOSHOLU PARKWAY

 

Mosholu Parkway (on Jerome Avenue at Mosholu Parkway) opened 06/02/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms and had eight some mosaic tablets, The South crossunder Renovated  at a cost of $13.8 million. The station lost its charm during the renovation. Contributor Peggy Darlington lobbied intensively, even writing the  Transit Museum,  to save the mosaics to no avail. She got the excuse that they were too far gone to which we add our comments of "baloney" .See our Late Great NYCT Page  for photos and to weep with us. A moment of silence, Please.  Thank you. Artwork is fused glass . it is by Corinne Grondahl  and was installed in 2008. it is entitled "Metromorphosis/ Birth of a Station." Northbound features  Metromorphosis and southbound features Birth of a Station  . Your webmaster and Peggy Darlington both feel that the artwork is nice but the station was still desecrated and will remain so until the tablets are restored( which is very unlikely.)

_____________________

WWOODLAWN

 

Woodlawn  (on Jerome Avenue  at Woodlawn Cemetery)  opened 06/02/1917 and has two tracks, two closed wall platforms and an island platform. M.A. Angeliades, who also did 161st street on this line Was the contractor with an estimated cost of $15.6 million and is a key ADA station . Artwork in faceted glass is by Josie Gonzalez Albright and is entitled "Children at Play." it was installed in 2006.

 

 

 

 

Contact us at subway-buff@stationreporter.net (paste this address into your e-mail program)

 

 Last revised 01/14/2013

Home>NYCT > Transit Today> A Division >

All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.

Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"