Home   NYCT   Staten Island   Port Authority   NYC Commuter Rail   America  The World    Contributors   Links

 

Transit Tech   Transit Then   Transit Today   Transit Tomorrow

 

 

 5 Train Tablet  5 Train digital sign

For photos please see www nycsubway.org 

Brooklyn Tile Band 

________________________

FLATBUSH AVENUE

BROOKLYN COLLEGE

 

 

Flatbush Avenue / Brooklyn College (on Nostrand Avenue at Flatbush Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has Two Tracks, two wall platforms which are connected at the South end. There are vent chambers. The South exit leads to Avenue H and  has a ghost booth and p/t HEET access, and is not ADA compliant while the Center exit on the Manhattan bound side leads to South side of  Flatbush Avenue and is ADA compliant with elevator There is another p/t exit on the s/b side, the booth is open only during rush hours, HEET access other times of the day . The artwork is entitled "Flatbush Floogies" and is by Muriel Castanis and was installed in 1996. The art is near the Avenue H entrance. This station was renovated. Future plans for installation of a small storage yard South of the station which will require reconfiguration of the station. A tower is at the North end of the northbound platform. There is a platform level crossover at the Avenue H exit. During rush hours, it is common, but not always the case for 5 trains to use the west pocket track, while 2 trains use the east pocket track (The same side as the f/t and ADA fare control area.) All other times when the 5 is not running, the 2 uses either track.

__________________

NEWKIRK AVENUE

 

Newkirk Avenue (on Nostrand Avenue at Newkirk Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has no crossover or crossunder ands has two tracks, two wall platforms. The South exit is to Newkirk Avenue while the North exit (southbound platform only) leads to Avenue D, The tiles and the exit staircase both suggest it was added in the early 1960s There is a newsstand on the northbound platform. The station has vent chambers. The booth has the station name spelled as "New Kirk" while the signs have it as one word! (Correct spelling is one word!)

___________________

BEVERL(E)Y ROAD

 

Beverl(e)y Road (on Nostrand Avenue at Beverl(e)y Road) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks two wall platforms, no crossover or crossunder and no southbound booth. Platforms are offset (rear of platforms are longer). Faux IND tile and tablets show the name as Beverly while booth and exit signs near the center exit shows name as Beverley. There are arguments in favor of both spellings and this site will not join in the disputes over which is correct. There are vent chambers. This site will show the name as "Beverl(e)y"

________________

CHURCH AVENUE

 

Church Avenue (on Nostrand Avenue at Church Avenue) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks, two wall platforms, full ADA and no southbound booth. This station was renovated in 1997 by NYCT in house contract. A newsstand is located on the northbound platform. The artwork is entitled "Transitions" by Lois Delsarte and was installed in 2001.

________________

WINTHROP ROAD

 

Winthrop Road (on Nostrand Avenue at Winthrop Road) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks, two wall platforms, no crossover or crossunder. Northbound exit is at the north end at platform level. Southbound exit is up ten steps and is at the south end and  leads to Parkside Avenue. No exit to Winthrop Road was found leading to a theory of sealed center exit(s). The station has a secondary name of Downstate Medical Center University Hospital. The station has vent chambers Rear of platforms are offset.

____________________

STERLING STREET

 

Sterling Street (on Nostrand Avenue at Sterling Street) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks, two wall platforms and a crossover via dual stairways on both platforms. The offset to platforms is at the rear of both platforms.

____________________

PRESIDENT STREET

 

President Street (on Nostrand Avenue at President Street) opened 08/23/1920 and has two tracks ands an island platform. To exit you go up seventeen steps to an intermediate level and then thirteen steps to the mezzanine. You can also use an escalator to bypass the intermediate level .The exit is near the North end. The steel I- beams are double wide and the south end of the platform tapers. The North end of the northbound track features a punch for local or express.. We meet the 3 train and 4 train and run local on a four track trunk line under Eastern Parkwa

_____________________

FRANKLIN  AVENUE

 

Franklin Avenue  is discussed on the complexes page

_____________________

ATLANTIC  AVENUE BARCLAYS CENTER

 

Atlantic Avenue Barclays Center  (on Flatbush Avenue at Atlantic Avenue) opened on 05/01/1908 and is described on the complexes page

_____________________

NEVINS STREET

 

Nevins Street (on Flatbush Avenue at Futon Street and Nevins Street) opened on 05/01/1908 and has four tracks ands two island platforms with the tower between the two express tracks which was once a track. For more info see www.nycsubway.org.  The current layout has a crossunder which hides the abandoned lower level. Brennan's Page has more information. This station is very shallow and often has standing water of the platforms. This station has been renovated and features Artwork in the mezzanine which has no crossover on each side of Fulton Street. Both platforms taper at the south end . 

_____________________

BOROUGH HALL

 

Borough Hall is described on the Complexes Page   

Manhattan Tile Band 

 

__________________

BOWLING GREEN

 

Bowling Green (on State Street at Battery Place) opened on 07/10/1905 and has two tracks a wall platform serving northbound trains and an island platform serving southbound trains. The wall platform was added due to heavy ridership. A fence blocks access to the island platform for northbound traffic. The wall platform was dug out of the tunnel walls. An unusual feature is use of the crossunder to exit via a lower mezzanine. The station also has a short, three car wall platform for use by the discontinued South Ferry Shuttle For more info see www.nycsubway.org and Brennan’s Page. 

_______________

WALL STREET

 

Wall Street (on Broadway at Wall Street) opened on 06/12/1905 and has two tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. The blue tile has been removed in the current  renovation which restored the original white tiles. Southbound features an original wooden booth. A passageway exists outside of the paid area connecting to the J train 

__________________

FULTON  STREET

 

Fulton Street  (on Broadway at Fulton Street on 06/12/1905 and is described on the Complexes Page  

___________________

BROOKLYN BRIDGE

CITY HALL

 

Brooklyn Bridge (On Park Row at City Hall Park )opened on 10/27/1904 and is discussed on the complexes page.  

________________

14 STREET

UNION SQUARE

 

14th Street Union Square opened on 10/27/1904 and is described on the Complexes Page 

__________________

42 STREET

GRAND CENTRAL

 

42nd Street Grand Central opened 07/17/1918 and is described on the Complexes Page. Leaving here the line becomes two levels with the express on the lower level.  

___________

59 STREET

 

59th Street (on Lexington Avenue at East 59th Street) local opened on07/17/1918 and the express opened on 11/15/1962. It is described on the Complexes Page  

___________

86 STREET

 

86th Street (on Lexington Avenue at East 86th Street) opened on 07/17/1918 and has two tracks and two wall platforms on each level. It has been renovated by NYCT in house contract. There is no crossover or crossunder. Fare control is on the platform level.  Artwork by Peter Sis is etched stone and mosaic. Installed in  2004 it is entitled "Happy City." The art  has neighborhood buildings as the pupils of the eyes and eyelashes and figurative elements of neighborhood diversity and energy as the white of the eyes.

_____________

125 STREET

 

125th Street (on Lexington Avenue at East 125th Street) opened on 07/17/1918 and has two tracks and an island platform on each level. The upper level is for northbound trains, while the lower level is for Manhattan bound trains. This station is being renovated fort he second time in 15 years. On the upper level The West track is used by the 6 train and the East track by the 4 train and the 5 train. The positions on the  lower level are switched, with the 4 train using the west track and the 6 train using the east track. this station is ADA accessible, with an elevator from the Northeast corner of 125th Street and Lexington Avenue to mezzanine level and a three stop elevator inside fare control to both platforms. The second and most recent renovation added a staircase from the Northern part of mezzanine downstairs  to the first platform. Artwork installed in 1986 is by Houston Conwill and is entitled " The Open Secret." It is a bronze relief. It features community history, sacred spaces as they relate to African American exploration and the quest for equality. 

Bronx Tile Band 

____________________

138 STREET

GRAND CONCOURSE

 

138th Street Grand Concourse (on Grand Concourse and East 138th Street) opened on 07/17/1918 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. The original name was Mott Haven as indicated on the icons. There is a crossover in this station which has metal signs covering the original tablets. The station needs TLC.  

____________________

149  STREET

GRAND CONCOURSE

 

149th Street Grand Concourse (on East 149th Street at Grand Concourse  ) 07/10/1905 and has two levels. At street level is an  original Mott Avenue  Tablet. For a photo see the Late Great NYCT Page. It is discussed on the complexes page

__________________

149   street

THIRD AVENUE

 

149th Street Third Avenue (on East 149th Street at third Avenue) opened on 07/10/1905 and has been renovated. It has two tracks and two wall platforms. It has full ADA with no crossunder or crossover. Artwork entitled "Una Raza, Un Mundo, Un Universo" (One Race, One World, one universe) was installed in 1996 by Jose Ortega. There are two ghost booths here which issued bus transfers no made obsolete by the MetroCard. The Door near fare control is actually part of passageway to the Third avenue el. Your staff is upset about their decision to remove the "3" tablets from the station and cover the 3rd Ave station mosaic. We leave the subway and become an el.

____________________

JACKSON  AVENUE

 

Jackson Avenue (on Westchester Avenue at Jackson Avenue) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. Historic details were restored. . Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. Artwork is faceted glass is by George Crespo and was installed in 2009. it entitled " Latin American Stories " and features Latin American Fairy tales, myth and folklore.

Southbound features Rain, Wind Fire:

  • "How frogs brought rain to Mexico"
  • "The Condor King"
  • "How fire came to the rain forest"

Northbound features Love and creation

  • "The king that tried to touch the moon from the Lesser Antilles"
  • "The beginning of the sea"
  • A Latin American Version of Cinderella

____________________

PROSPECT AVENUE

 

Prospect Avenue (on Westchester Avenue at Prospect Avenue) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. Historic details were restored.  Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. Artwork, installed in 2008 is by Marina T Sersarskaya and is entitle "Bronx Four Seasons". it is faceted Glass. 

____________________

INTERVALE AVENUE

 

Intervale Avenue (on Westchester Avenue at Intervale Avenue (East 163rd Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. After a fire, it was planed to close the station but the community forced a rebuild. It is now all metal and out of character with the rest of the line. The original name was 163rd Street. Artwork is in the mezzanine and is entitled "The Els 2" and "The Els 5" installed in 1992. The Artist is Michael Kelly Williams. 

___________________

SIMPSON  street

 

Simpson Street (on Westchester Avenue at Simpson Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. Historic details were restored.  Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. Artwork is by Lisa Amowitz . it was installed in 2008 and is faceted glass. it is entitled "Urban Renewal. Lisa's interpretive statement is in part" Structures, although built to last are fragile, while flowers represent the eternal through renewal, rebirth and rebuilding."

It shows fallen buildings "comforted"  by flowers.

___________________

FREEMAN  street

 

Freeman Street (on Southern Boulevard at Freeman Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder Historic details were restored.  This station is on a curve. The Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. This station is known for two items:

  • It was a terminus for 2nd and 3rd Avenue el trains from Manhattan where there was a connection near 149th Street.
  • The north end of this station was a backdrop for the opening scene of "Fort Apache, The Bronx (1981).

This site encourages respects of any law enforcement officer.

Artwork in faceted glass was installed in 2007. it is by Daniel Hauben and is entitled "The El."

_____________

174  street

 

174 Street on Boston Road at East 174th Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossover or crossunder. Historic details were restored. Contractor was M.A. Angeliades. Faceted glass Artwork was installed in 2004.it is by Daniel Del Valle and is entitled" A Trip Up the Bronx River." it features a group canoeing the Bronx River and passing attractions such as the Bronx Zoo, The New York Botanical Garden and area activities.

_________________________

WEST FARMS SQUARE

EAST TREMONT AVENUE

 

West Farms Square East Tremont Avenue (on Boston Road at East Tremont Avenue) opened on 11/26/1904 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. Estimated cost for renovation is $11 million and is an in house contract by NYCT. Original name was East 177th Street.  North of this station is a spur ,now abandoned and discussed below, which lead to East 180th Street (not current East 180th Street Station.) the line was planned to go straight but was rerouted after objections from the zoo (Source: Joe Cunningham).

Artwork is by Naomi Campbell. it is faceted glass and was installed in 2004 . It is entitled "Animal Tracks" and also pays homage to the Bronx Zoo Area nearby .

180th STREET    BRONX PARK

 

180thStreet Bronx Park on Boston Road at East 180th Street) opened on 11/26/1904 and closed on 08/04/1952 . Bronx Park el  also had another track parallel to the uptown platform track. It was connected to a car elevator which brought cars to a storage shed on ground level. It was primarily used to store the open air Manhattan el cars (1219-1254), starting in 1902. We now have a sharp S Curve.

___________________

EAST 180 STREET  

East 180th Street (on White Plains Road at East 180th Street) opened on 03/03/1917 and has three tracks and two Island platforms. The station used to have escalators to the street but was lowered (Source: NYCT Superintendent and Supervisor) has three tracks and two wall platforms and a crossunder). A walk under the structure reveals the location of the escalators. Renovation Contractor was Citnalta..

One important element was donated to the project by construction contractor Citnalta.  Company President Mike Gargiulo visited the job and felt that the historic building was missing just one thing – a clock.  Having studied historical preservation in college, he thought a clock would add a lot to the project. Some electronic sleuthing turned up old images showing the original clock.  A similar item was sourced from Electric Time Co. in Massachusetts.  The old images were sent up to them and they suggested a clock that would fit the design of the early 20th Century transportation building.“We at Citnalta, with NYC Transit’s and Lee Harris Pomeroy’s permission, donated the clock and the installation, because we thought it completed the look, making a great renovation just a little bit nicer,” said Gargiulo.

A yard and shop are to the West of the station and the abandoned NYW&B station to our east (See NYWB Port Chester Service and NYWB White Plains Service. )The 2 train and 5 train split here via flyover ramps. North of here we see the Unionport Yard to our East. From here to 241st has also been renovated . The contractor was Judlau Construction.

East 180 before clock    East 180 with clock

A yard and shop are to the West of the station and the abandoned NYW&B station to our east (See NYWB Port Chester Service and NYWB White Plains Service. ) The 2 train and 5 train split here via flyover ramps. North of here we see the Unionport Yard to our East. From here to 241st has also been renovated . The contractor was Judlau Construction.

 The Dyre line was purchased from the NYW&B (New York, Westchester and Boston Railroad) and remains of former Catenary poles remain in places along with the majestic station houses. Only the outer tracks are used for service. 

_______________

MORRIS PARK

 

Morris Park (Paulding Avenue and Esplanade, with outside staircase to Lydig Avenue) opened on 05/15/1940 and has two wall platforms. The station house is of a mission style with red clay tile roof. It is made of stucco and is over the tracks. North end of the station is in a tunnel while the South end is an embankment with arched windows in the station house which has a crossover.

___________________

PELHAM PARKWAY

 

Pelham Parkway (Pelham Parkway North, Esplanade and Williamsbridge Road) opened on 05/15/1940 and has four tracks and two island platforms situated inside a tunnel. There are no open cut sections at this station. The station house is at street level. The northbound express track has been removed leaving only the ballast. The station has a crossover. 

_________________

GUN HILL ROAD

 

Gun Hill Road (Gun Hill road between Sexton and DeWitt Place, 3 blocks west of Eastchester Road) opened on 05/15/1940. We are outdoors again at this station with 3 tracks and two wall platforms. There is a crossover and is near grade. The station house is at street level at the north end and is physically located over the tracks.

_____________________

BAYCHESTER AVENUE

 

Baychester Avenue (Tillotson Avenue at Baychester Avenue) opened on 05/15/1940 and has three tracks and two wall platforms. There is a crossunder to the street level station house at the North end and a crossover at the south end. The line becomes four tracks briefly. The southbound express merges with the local and the northbound express track just ends.

_____________________

DYRE AVENUE EASTCHESTER

 

Dyre Avenue Eastchester (Light Street and Dyre Avenue , 2 blocks north of Boston Road) opened on 05/15/1940 and has two tracks and an islands platform. The tracks continue northward and hold two ten car trains each. The station house is at street level . A careful observation reveals the former glory of this station. 

Home >NYCT > Transit Today >A Division > 5 Train

Contact us at subway-buff@stationreporter.net

 Last revised 3/23/13

All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.

Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"

 

Contact us at subway-buff@stationreporter.net (paste this address into your e-mail program)

 Last revised 01/17/2011

Home>NYCT > Transit Today> A Division >

All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.

Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"