Home   NYCT   Staten Island   Port Authority   NYC Commuter Rail   America  The World    Contributors   Links


Transit Tech   Transit Then   Transit Today   Transit Tomorrow



   7 Train Digital Sign 


For photos please see www nycsubway.org. 

This Line has earned the nickname, International Express for the diverse ridership and ethnic neighborhoods. 




Times Square on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and is discussed on the Complexes page. 





Fifth Avenue Bryant Park on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and is discussed on the Complexes page 




Grand Central on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and is discussed on the Complexes page 





Vernon Boulevard Jackson Avenue (on 50th Avenue between Vernon Boulevard and Jackson Avenue) opened on 06/22/1915 and has two tracks and two wall platform. A curtain wall separates the tracks. There is no crossover or crossunder. This station was the site where a Station Agent was killed for a pail of tokens. The policy was changed after this incident. The night Station Agent no longer has to pull the wheels after the PM leaves unless police or supervisor or another employee is present. There is no crossover or crossunder. The North exit leads to Jackson Avenue, up three steps from platform level and the South exit leads to Vernon Boulevard. Original IRT directional signs on both platforms read "To Vernon Avenue". Most likely the street was renamed to Vernon Boulevard sometime after the station was  built.




Hunter’s Point   (on Hunter’s Point Avenue and 100 feet East of 21st Street next to LIRR Station with the same name) opened on 02/15/1916 and has two tracks, two wall platforms and has a closed exit at the North end. There is a crossover. Most of the customers who use this station are for the LIRR trains at Hunters Point Avenue during peak periods.  Leaving here we have a view of the Hunter’s Point LIRR Station. Leaving here we have a nice S Curve and enter our next station 



Court House Square (on 23rd Street at Jackson Avenue and 45th Road) on the 7 opened on 11/05/1916 and is discussed on the Complexes page. Leaving here we have the second S curve and enter the next station. 




Queensboro Plaza (Bridge Plaza North and South between Crescent and 27th Streets, near Queensboro Bridge entrance to lower level)  IRT section opened 11/5/1916, BMT section opened 1917, north Platforms demolished in late 1949, Last renovated in 2003.

This station has a lot of history in it; it is a 100% pure dual contracts station as the only station in the entire NYC subway system to have both IRT #7 Flushing Line and BMT N and W trains operating on the same platforms.  Because of the width of IRT cars being smaller than BMT/IND cars, the N and W trains are prohibited from switching over to the Flushing Line from Manhattan, even in emergency situations.  The current layout is 2 tracks on each island platform, with 2 levels.  The #7 line always uses the south tracks, while the N/W trains use the north tracks on both levels.  The lower level is for Manhattan-bound trains, while the Upper level is for Flushing/Astoria (outbound) trains.  Recently, the station was renovated by NYCT’s in-house Maintenance of Way forces, as opposed of having an outside contractor perform the job.  This site endorses in-house jobs as a means of saving money, using skilled workers already employed by NYCT, and in most cases, the stations are completed on or ahead of the targeted completion date.  When the station was fully completed in 1917, there were actually 8 tracks, and 4 island platforms.  Standing on the upper level, closest to the Queensboro Bridge side, you can see the skeletal remains of the 2 north platforms that were side-by-side in the same layout as the current and surviving south platforms, it was abandoned in 1949 and all the BMT operations were shifted to the current south platform.  The original layout was to use the south platform and 4 tracks for IRT and connections to the 2nd Avenue el.. IRT trains ran via. either the Steinway Tube (today’s #7 line), or over the Queensboro Bridge, turn at 2nd Ave/59th St, where it connected with the southbound 2nd Ave el. .  Either track had double X crossovers so there was plenty of operational flexibility.  At the far west end of the Upper Level, where the #7 curves into the station, you can see the skeletal girders sticking out and pointing to the Upper Level roadway of the bridge.  The abandoned north platform was used for primarily BMT Broadway trains and 8 track configurations looked like this (upper level/lower level as it ran): 

From north to south:  BMT North Platform, Track #1:  Astoria/60th St tube BMT North Platform Track #2 Corona/60th St tube.  IRT south platform:  Track #1 2nd Ave el /Corona, Track #2 Steinway/Corona. 

There were double crossovers to the east that allowed trains to use either Astoria or Corona line (the Main St extension was built later on.)  Looking also to the east of the station, more skeletal remains of tracks than ran from Astoria to Corona directly, from Astoria, the tracks ran on the outer ends of the current Astoria line, depress significantly, and curve over to the Corona/Flushing line where it would elevate and join the current IRT line.  You can see more of these abandoned tracks if you stand on street.  Because of the platform layouts, there was most likely a mezzanine, twice the size as the current mezzanine.  The 2nd Ave el. was abandoned in 1942 and presented a problem at Queensboro Plaza, where can trains go now, since at least 2 tracks are no longer in use?  It was later determined to combine the BMT and IRT tracks in one set of platforms.  In 1949, the north platforms were abandoned and the mezzanine was cut in half and renovated. 

Before I saw the current renovation taking place, the tiles show evidence of a 1950’s or early 60’s retouch, along with 1950’s exit slam gates.  Over the years since the 1949 downsizing, the station fell into disrepair, broken glass on the lower level platform, and leaking platform canopy on the upper level were prime examples.  After the 2002 in house renovation, the glass was replaced, the mezzanine was redone, and even new canopies on both overpass exits (one on the north side, leading to couple of stores on the 2nd floor of a private building, the south side was only stairs to street.) were finally installed to protect customers from the rain and other elements.  There are 4 stairs from lower to upper level and 4 stairs from lower level to mezzanine.  Access from mezzanine to either platform is only available from the 2 western stairs in front of the S/A booth.  The 2 eastern stairs from lower level to mezzanine are exit only and are closest to the north bridge and arcade stores.  The platforms are not aligned together; the Upper level is about 150 feet west of the lower level.  Artwork: “Columns” by Sydney Cash (2000), uses silk-screened glass panels, instead of ordinary glass, installed on both sides of the lower level.  Most people who look at the glass design may not really notice that it is artwork.  Just inside fare control, are the newest next train indicators, one for the #7 and the other for the N/W lines.  During rush hours when all 3 lines have frequent service, the buzzers are constantly going off without any chance of letting up. 

The next three stations feature a series or art glass mosaics entitled “Q is for Queens” By Yumi Heo, installed in 1999.. It took some doing, but all 28 were found! (All of the letters plus two more pieces were found!) These three were all renovated by NYCT in house contract. These stations are on a concrete viaduct. In the case with the stations having  dual names, the name that appears after the numbered street represents the original street name before a massive conversion from named streets to numbered streets took place. The exceptions are 74th Street -Broadway, where Broadway runs differently than 74th Street and 82nd Street-Jackson Heights where the name represents the neighborhood instead of the original street name of 82nd Street.

The next three stations feature an artwork entitled Q is for Queens. For more information on the art click this link.


33 street



33rd Street Rawson Street (On Queens Boulevard at 33rd Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and Has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder at the North(34th street) end only .It also has  24/7 HEET access and a ghost booth which was removed in 2003. In addition, two staircases to the street at 34th Street end are sealed. Letters A to J were found here along with a redbird 7 train art glass mosaic. The station has a full canopy with concrete sidewalls which also have glass block. 


40  street



40th Street Lowery Street (On Queens Boulevard at 40th Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with no crossunder. Letters K to P were found here. Exit is at the center. Construction detail is like 33rd Street.


46  street



46th Street Bliss Street (on Queens Boulevard at 46th Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. Letters Q to Z were found here. Construction details are like 33rd Street. North exit leads to 47th Street and HAS 24/7 HEET  access and a ghost booth removed in 2003. The South exit leads to 46th Street. Letters Q to Z are found here. An Extra art glass mosaic features the 7 train, Queensboro Bridge and Kids at play. This is the last stop on Queens Boulevard We now curve onto Roosevelt Avenue for the remainder of our ride.  


52 street



52nd Street Lincoln Avenue (On Roosevelt Avenue at 52nd Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder at the South (52nd Street end) and no crossunder at the North (53rd Street) end as configured due to HEETs. This station has wood canopies and mezzanines and needs TLC. 


61  street



61st Street Woodside (on Roosevelt Avenue at 61st Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and has three tracks and two island platforms with a crossunder. This station has been renovated and has full ADA. The mezzanine also serves as an entrance e to the LIRR station’s waiting area. Art is by Dimitri Gerakakis and is entitled “Woodside Continuum“ and was installed in 1998.Art is stainless steel and is found in the AFC railings dividing the NYCT paid area from the LIRR area There is a newsstand and a closed tower North of the station.. Another artwork is entitled Commuting/ Community by John Cavanaugh installed in 1985 and features photos of trains in the area.  For details of the LIRR station see the Port Washington Branch Page. 


69 street



69th Street Fiske Street (on Roosevelt Avenue at 69th Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. Mezzanine is wood. Northbound has a work stairway at the north end and could be a removed exit. We cross over the Brooklyn Queens Expressway and enter our next station.


74  street



74th Street Broadway (on Roosevelt Avenue at Broadway and 74th Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and is discussed on the Complexes page. 


82  street



82nd Street Jackson Heights (On Roosevelt Avenue at 82nd Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. Except for a slight re do of the mezzanine area, this station is unrenovated and has a wood mezzanine and the original wood canopies. Exit is via two stairways in the center with a unique feature—only the southern stair has a crossunder! The northern stairway has exits only. Artwork is a large “82” on the windscreen near the exit stairs to the Mezzanine. 


90 street



90th Street Elmhurst Avenue (On Roosevelt Avenue at 90th Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. Similar to 82nd Street, the mezzanine is renovated but the rest of this station is unrenovated with wood mezzanine and metal canopies. Exit layout is the same as found at 82nd street. Art work is translucent panels near the exit stairs to the Mezzanine  





Junction Boulevard (On Roosevelt Avenue at Junction Boulevard on the 7) opened on 04/212/1917 and has three tracks and two island platforms with a crossunder.  ADA is planned, This Station in unrenovated with wood Mezzanine with brick floors and original canopies. Only the fare control  and mezzanine  area had a light re do in the early 1990s. An unusual feature is the layout of the Mezzanine – think of it as three squares:-- the outer squares have crossunders and the center has the booth .   


103 street



103rd Street Corona Plaza (On Roosevelt Avenue at 103rd Street) on the 7 opened on 04/212/1917 and has three tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder. Originally opened as Alburtis Avenue (Later renamed to 104th Street with a possible sealed exit at  the north end. From 1917 to 1925,this station was a terminal for the Astoria and Corona Lines. This station has metal canopy and wood Mezzanine. In a surprising twist, it has escaped the dark green and beige uniformity that hit the remainder of the elevated stations system wide—this station has bluish gray. Exit is the same as found at Junction Blvd. This station was the first end of the line in Queens and gave the line its official name as the “Corona Line” (SOURCE: Joe Cunningham). 


111  street


111th Street (On Roosevelt Avenue at 11th Street) opened on 10/13/1925 and has four tracks and two wall platforms with a crossunder plus a flyover track used by the express service. The 1930s pre-unification maps show Alburtis Avenue next to 111th Street for unknown reasons. The center pair on the main level leads to the yard, the Mezzanine is wood and canopies are metal. This station connects to the New York Hall of Science. There is a closed north exit which probably had a crossunder. A dispatcher booth is at the north end of the northbound platform. This station gives a postcard view of the fairgrounds, Casey Stengle Bus Depot, Corona Yard and Shop, and Shea Stadium, Soon to be replaced by Citi Field




Mets Willets Point (on Roosevelt Avenue at Willets Point Boulevard) opened on 05/07/1927 and has three tracks. From geographic North to South layout is as follows: Wall platform for Times Square bound locals, track 1, track 2, island platform served by Express and all Queens bound trains. track 3, wall platform (used for tennis tournament only). This wall platform has a gate that can be opened leading directly to the overpass boardwalk to the Flushing Meadows Corona Park The Mezzanine is wood and also has a ramp to the Stadium opened only during ball games since it is inside the paid area. This station was heavily rebuilt for the 1939-1940 World’s Fair. For more information see www.nycsubway.org. Leaving here, we cross over water on the Roosevelt Avenue Bridge via a separate bridge. Both bridges are over a perpendicular highway bridge which is over Flushing Bay After we cross the bay we descend into the subway. The official name of the station is Mets-Willets Point per official bulletin. This site will follow the Bulletin and we will not respond to station name complaints.


MAIN  street


Main Street  (on Roosevelt Avenue at Main Street) opened on 01/02/1928 and has three tracks and two island platforms This station has been renovated and features artwork by Ik Jeong Kang  and is entitled Happy World. It was installed in 1998. The south exit is fragmented by the booth and leads to Main Street with a crossover. The North exit is at platform level with access to all tracks and escalators outside the paid area to Union Street/ Lippmann Plaza. The artwork is over the escalators .


Contact us at subway-buff@stationreporter.net

 Last revised 1/15/13

Home>NYCT > Transit Today> A Division >7 Train

All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.

Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"