Home   NYCT   Staten Island   Port Authority   NYC Commuter Rail   America  The World    Contributors   Links

 

Transit Tech   Transit Then   Transit Today   Transit Tomorrow

 

  

G Tablet  G Train Digital Sign

 

For photos please see www nycsubway.org.

This line is unique in being the only subway line never entering Manhattan. The line is semi isolated , but there were grand plans for this line which were abandoned due to the 1929 Great Depression and Word War II. For more details see www.nycsubway.org and Brennan’s page

________________________

COURT SQUARE

 

Court Square (on Jackson Avenue at 44th Drive) opened on 8/19/1933 and is discussed on the complexes page

________________________

21  STREET

VAN ALST

 

 

21stStreet/Van Alst (on 21st Street at Jackson Avenue) opened on 8/19/1933 and has two tracks and an island platform. The wall tile has been damaged by underground springs. The north exit leads to 21st street and the LIRR via a walk. The south exit and south portion of the Mezzanine has been closed. Portions of the closed portion of the Mezzanine are used for storage and employee areas. This station needs tons of TLC.

________________________

GREENPOINT AVENUE

 

 

Greenpoint Avenue (On Manhattan Avenue at Greenpoint Avenue) opened on 8/19/1933 and has two tracks and two wall platforms and a crossover. The north exit leads to India Street from each platform with no crossover or crossunder, while the south exit leads to Greenpoint Avenue and the mezzanine with crossover. There are vent chambers

________________________

NASSAU AVENUE

 

 

Nassau Avenue (on Manhattan Avenue at Nassau Avenue) opened on 8/19/1933 and has two tracks and two wall platforms. The north exit from each platform lead to Norman Avenue with no crossover or crossunder, while the south exit leads to Nassau Avenue with a crossover both inside the paid area and outside the paid area. There are vent chambers and at least four ghost booths, two of them within the full time  mezzanine area .

________________________

METROPOLITAN AVENUE
GRAND  STREET

 

 

Metropolitan Avenue/Lorimer Street (Corner of Metropolitan Avenue, Union Avenue and Lorimer Street) IND opened on 7/1/1937 and is discussed on the Complexes Page

________________________

BROADWAY

 

 

Broadway (on Union Avenue at Broadway) opened on 7/1/1937 and has two tracks and two wall platforms and a crossover. This station has the distinction of having its name misspelled as Brodaway on one icon tile! There is a crossover towards the south end and has a new wall hiding the north mezzanine currently holding offices, storage and once lead to the South 4th Street station shell of the IND Second System. For more information see www.nycsubway.org and Brennan’s Page. Each platform has numerous slabbed over stairways leading to the extended Mezzanine . There are vent chambers. Transit tried to cover up the typo in the tile but the cover up failed and Brodaway returned!

Here is a photo from www.nycsubway.org of the typo! Your staff certifies it has not been doctored in any way using any computer program.

Brodaway photo

________________________

FLUSHING AVENUE

 

 

Flushing Avenue (on Marcy Avenue at Flushing Avenue) opened on 7/1/1937 and has two tracks and two wall platforms. There is no open crossover or crossunder but the north end has a closed crossover. This Mezzanine contains storage, employee space and various rooms and leads to Walton Street. This exit was supposedly closed due to complaints from a local manufacturer which provides security cameras for the station. The open end leads to Flushing and Marcy Avenues with no crossover or crossunder.

____________________________

MYRTLE - WILLOUGHBY AVENUES

 

Myrtle- Willoughby Avenues (On Marcy Avenue at Myrtle Avenue) opened on 7/1/1937 and has two tracks and two wall platforms. The north end has a crossunder and leads to Myrtle Avenue and the closed south exit with no crossover or crossunder leads to Willoughby Street. The entire station has a low ceiling with the tablets interrupting the tile band. Vent chambers are located on the tile wall. As far as we can determine there was no transfer to the Old M train here.

____________________________

BEDFORD - NOSTRAND AVENUES

 

Bedford-Nostrand Avenues (on Marcy Avenue at Nostrand Avenue) opened on 7/1/1937 and has three tracks and two island platforms and a crossover. This station has a full mezzanine. The north exit leads to Nostrand Avenue with two open and two closed street stairways. The south exit leads to Bedford Avenue with four street stairways.. More information on this station is available on www.nycsubway.org and Brennan’s Page. The Center track is used for short turns and for G.O.s

________________________

CLASSON AVENUE

 

 

Classon Avenue (on Lafayette Avenue at Classon Avenue) opened on 7/1/1937 and has two tracks and two wall platforms plus a center trackway and a crossover. The station once had a full Mezzanine. The south Mezzanine is now closed and probably lead to Grand Avenue. The south exit is higher leading to a theory of space for a future line

_____________________________

CLINTON - WASHINGTON AVENUES

 

 

Clinton Washington Avenues (on Lafayette Avenue at Clinton Avenue) opened on 7/1/1937 and has two tracks and two wall platforms and a crossover only at the far ends of each platform. North exit is to Washington Avenue and connects to the schools Pratt Institute, and Adelphi Academy. South exit is to Clinton Avenue and connects to schools St. Joseph College and Bishop Loughlin High School. Currently the booth is in the center but probably was at each end.

________________________

FULTON  STREET

 

Fulton Street (on Lafayette Avenue at Fulton Street) opened on 7/1/1937 and has two tracks and two wall platforms. There are closed stairways to the North mezzanine, now used for employee and office space and leads to South Portland Avenue. High exits are still in place leading to a theory of gated access to the street. The south exit leads to Fulton Street and the exit from the southbound platform only. There is No free transfer to the Lafayette Avenue Station on the C  train. According to a conductor on the G train, there is a track qualified employee only connection between this station and Lafayette on the C. it is behind locked doors on both stations. Do not try to access this connection. You face arrest!

________________________

HOYT SCHERMERHORN

 

 

Hoyt Schermerhorn Crosstown Line opened on 7/1/1937 and is a very unusual station which has lots to see. It has six tracks and four island platforms of which only the inner pair of platforms are in use. The two outer island platforms are used for movie and commercial shoots. The A (see A Rockaway and A Lefferts) and C use the local side of the open island platforms and the G uses the express. There are numerous sealed stairways and exits including a sealed passageway to Livingston Street and the long gone Loesser’s Department Store via direct entrance to the store. A police facility also occupies the mezzanine along with various NYCT offices. The last use of the outer platforms was for the Aqueduct Race Track specials. While not done today, trains on the local track of the open island could open doors on the closed island’s express track but bold red signs at the conductor’s position advise " DO NOT OPEN DOORS—WRONG SIDE". The "local" tracks on the closed wall platforms lead to the Transit Museum (Court Street Station) and were once used for the short lived Court Street Shuttle which ran from Hoyt to Court Street. Based on track numbers, these tracks were planned to continue to today’s World Trade Center Station on the E train. (Both lines share the same track letter codes. For more information on this see www.nycsubway.org and Brennan’s page

We leave Fulton Street and now run under Smith Street and are joined by the F Train in a unique fly under arrangement. 

________________________

BERGEN  STREET

 

 

Bergen Street (Bergen Street and Smith Street) opened 10/7/1933:    Local stop, 2 tracks, 2 side platforms, all fare controls are at platform level, no crossover allowed.  Station was renovated in the early 1990's by NYCT's in-house forces and has a different shed of green from the original IND tile band at this station.  The darker green is the main band, while the top and bottom borders, normally either black or a darker shade, are light green.   It used to be an express stop, where F service in the 1970's was divided into 2 services during rush hours.  F trains to/from Kings Highway would run local and use the upper level, while F trains to/from Coney Island, would use the now abandoned lower level.  GG trains (changed to G line after the elimination of doubled lettered routes in 1986.) would always use the upper level because the track connection to the Crosstown line was only available there, no access from the lower level.  Standing on either platform, look down at the opposite platform from where you are positioned at, you can see vents below the floor and the lighted remains of Bergen Street, there was no IND tile present.  Each side has 2 fare control areas, Northbound side has Full time  booth at Bergen Street at north end and has 2 street stairs, the Southbound side has part time day booth and 2 street stairs.  When the booth is closed, there is nightly HEET access available.  Part time fare control areas are at south end at Warren Street.  Each side has ghost booth and 1 street stair, the first station of numerous ghost booths you will encounter along the joint IND/BMT Culver portion of the F line in Brooklyn (we will refer this section to the Culver line), all the way down to West 8th Street.   If the lower level remained open, there would have been 3 staircases from each platform from upper to lower level, one each next to both fare controls and the 3rd staircase in between the other 2.   This center staircase has steel doors that "cover" the staircase behind it. Some of the tiles are a mixture of green dots of varying colors; artwork is unknown and is a departure from the normally white only tiles that dot most IND stations.  There was an active tower on the north side of the Manhattan-bound platform; extensive damage was suffered in the tower in the early 1990's, which caused major disruptions to F and G service.  Within less than a month, NYCT restored tower operations  and installed a new interlocking board.  The tower has now been closed again, and the interlocking is controlled from Jay Street Master Tower.

________________________

CARROLL  STREET

 

 

Carroll Street (Carroll Street at Smith Street) opened 10/7/1933: Local stop, now all 4 tracks are on the same level, 2 side platforms.  Mezzanine and crossover is allowed at Full time side with 2 exits to 2nd/3rd Streets, one a double wide staircase to Smith street, the other a passageway to East side of 2nd Street and Smith Street, it is closed late nights. The setup for this mezzanine is similar to Nassau Street on the G line.  But Carroll Street affords an amazing view of North bound trains descending into the tunnel from the south, in nice weather people are known to stand outside the main entrance and wait for their train here.  When  an F or G train leaves Smith-9th Street from the highest elevation point, it starts it's descent into the tunnel and Carroll street, giving customers more than enough time to descend into the mezzanine and board their train there.  Directly across the street, at the tunnel's mouth and parts of the elevation along the wall facing Smith Street, is an MTA authorized artwork  Opposite end of this station are platform level fare controls with exits to President Street, North bound side had a part time booth and has 2 street stairs.  The South bound side has 1 street stair and remains of the old style change booth and door left intact.  Like Bergen Street, the tile band is green

We leave Carroll Street and become elevated, only briefly because we have to cross to Gowanus Canal.  Because the canal is extremely deep, it would be impossible to build a tunnel so deep that would run underneath the canal at a steep grade from Carroll Street, about less than 1/2 mile away.  The view is breathtaking. 

________________________

SMITH / 9  STREETS

 

 

Smith /9th Street (Smith Street at Ninth Street) Opened 10/07/1933:  Local stop, 4 tracks, 2 side platforms, it is the highest point of the entire NYC Transit system at 88 feet above street level.  To illustrate the steep uphill climb, if one person were to use the staircases from the only full time booth area at sidewalk level to either platform and all of the escalators were inoperable (ouch!), he/she would have to do the following:

  •     49 steps to the first intermediate level

  •     53 steps to the crossunder level, where the passageway splits up into 2 separate staircases, one  to each platform, and...

  •     35 steps more, just to reach either platform.  That's a total of 137 steps you just climbed up; congratulations!  now do Roosevelt Island with a  step total of 157.

Fortunately, there are 2 sets of escalators that will take you as far up as to the crossunder level.  This station is slated for renovation. The S/B platform side affords the ultimate view of the NY skyline to the north, and the nearby Gowanus Expressway to the south with the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge in the distance.  The platform canopies on both sides need some TLC. Renovation is underway as of this date. 

________________________

4 AVENUE 9 STREET

 

 

4th Avenue/ 9th Street (4th Ave between 9th and 10th Streets) is discussed on the Complexes page 

Back to the tunneled portion of the F line we go.  Although since we descend at first from a high elevation to underground again, the next underground stop, 7th Ave, is actually higher than the elevated 4th Ave stop.  This is due to the topology of the streets in the namesake neighborhood, Park Slope.  If you were walking up 9th Street in an easterly direction (towards Prospect Park), you will be faced with a very long uphill that encompasses 3 blocks and nearly 1 mile 

________________________

7  AVENUE

 

 

7th Avenue (7th  Avenue at 9th  Street) Opened 10/7/1933  Express stop, 4 tracks, 2 island platforms, full length mezzanine with clear evidence that there were booths at both ends of the station.  Today the booth is situated in the middle of the mezzanine, however there are HEETs available at both ends, customers can use them without having to walk to the middle area to enter fare control, and crossover is allowed at any staircase.  There are 4 street stairs at the 7th Ave end, and 3 street stairs at the 8th Ave end, the 8th Ave end also has an intermediate level at the first staircase, otherwise a descending hill.  Near inside far control at the mezzanine center, 8th Ave side, is a large scale painting of Prospect Park's The Raven. 

After leaving 7th Ave, the express tracks take a short cut .  We will meet up with them at Church Ave. 

________________________

15  STREET

PROSPECT PARK

 

 

15th Street Prospect Park (about 100 feet east of Prospect Park West from Prospect Park Southwest to Windsor Place)  Opened 10/7/1933:  Located in the heart of Windsor Terrace, this local stop has 2 tracks on 1 island platform along a curve.  The mezzanine is full length and has a minimum of 2 ghost booths, one for the 2 exits to Prospect Park West and another near the 16th Street staircase.  Because of the way the tunnel was built, the station is not located underneath a street.  Instead the station and tunnel was constructed about 100 feet east of Prospect Park West.  Therefore some portions of the tunnel are directly underneath Prospect Park, and others between PP West and John P. Devaney Blvd.  If you enter Prospect Park through the parking lot, you will see subway grilles inside near the lot's edge.  There are 5 street stairs.From north to south, the exits are located as follows:  At Bartel Prichard Square between Prospect Park West and 15th Street (closed at night), both sides on Prospect Park West near the square, 1 exit on 16th Street and another on Windsor Place.  The current booth is located closer to the Windsor Place side.  The full length passageway allows out of system walking from one end to another, the area inside fare control does not.  The tile band is now orange-yellow. 

________________________

FT HAMILTON PARKWAY

  construction of

Ft. Hamilton Parkway (Greenwood Ave at Prospect Ave, also Fort Hamilton Parkway at foot of Prospect Expressway) Opened 7/10/1933:  Local stop, 2 tracks and 2 side platforms.  Full time side is at north side, by Greenwood and Prospect Avenues and has 2 street stairs and block long passageway to Reeve Place for 1 additional street stair.  The stairway at the Northeast corner of Greenwood and Prospect has a closed staircase that would have taken you to what appears to be an abandoned fare control area on platform level, Manhattan-bound side.  This area is gated shut and about 1/2 of the space is taken by station facilities with additional tiles.  The south end is to Fort Hamilton Parkway and has 24/7 HEET access and ghost booth.  The only exit out to Fort Hamilton Parkway is a ramp (no staircase) that runs alongside the Prospect Expressway, up and down a small hill.  This exit replaced the original 1933 staircase exit because of construction of Robert Moses' Prospect Expressway, requiring relocation of the exit .  From the mezzanine area, you can see the variation in tile colors and styles that leave its mark of a "new" entrance in 1962, when the expressway also opened; this can be seen as you are facing the ramp. 

________________________

CHURCH AVENUE

 

 

Church Avenue (Church Avenue and McDonald Ave) Opened 7/10/1933:  From it's initial opening, until the Culver connection opened in 1954, it was the terminal stop for D trains here (From 1933 to 1940, the E ran to Church Ave, until the IND Sixth Ave line in Manhattan opened.  Currently an express stop, with 4 tracks and 2 island platforms.  tile band is Maroon and has full length crossover mezzanine.  The Full time side at the south end leads to Church Ave and has 4 street stairs; the 2 southernmost stairs are through a passageway similar to Greenpoint Ave and Bedford-Nostrand Ave stations on the IND G line.  The Part time side at Albemarle Road has ghost booth and 2 street stairs. An active tower is at the south end of the Coney Island-bond platform, while yard leads are visible south of this station

After leaving Church Ave, we ride on the IND/BMT Culver connection that was installed in 1954 and permitted BMT Culver trains, direct service to the IND 6th Ave line and to the Concourse line in the Bronx.  The D line was extended to Coney Island via. culver and operated this way until the Chrystie connection opened on 11/27/1967.  Since then, F trains have been the dominant force of the Culver line, although some recent weekend G.O.s in mid to late 2004 have seen the G extended to Coney Island, replacing the F because of signal and track work at Bergen interlocking.  We become elevated to Coney Island.   

 

Contact us at subway-buff@stationreporter.net

 

 Last revised 01/17/13

Home>NYCT > Transit Today> B Division > G Train

All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.

Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"