Home   NYCT   Staten Island   Port Authority   NYC Commuter Rail   America  The World    Contributors   Links

 

Transit Tech   Transit Then   Transit Today   Transit Tomorrow

 

 

L Tablet

L Digital Sign

For photos please see www.nycsubway.org

Some art descriptions adapted from the MTA Web Site

Text and Friezes By Wayne Whitehorne

frieze

 

 

 

General History

There are four distinct phases of development of what is today's Canarsie Line, also known as the 14th Street Line, also known as the "L" line. Before becoming a BRT subway line in 1906, the Canarsie line operated as a steam railroad between East New York and the area around Canarsie Pier/Canarsie Beach Park (terminus may have been near present-day Canarsie Road and Skidmore Avenue). The BRT began train service in 1906 between Canarsie and Williamsburg, with the trains using trolley poles for power in the ground-level section. This line ran at grade level from the Canarsie Pier terminus to a point north of the East 105th Street station, after which it became elevated. It then connected with the Broadway El at Eastern Parkway station, with service continuing west along Broadway to the now-vanished Williamsburg terminus. At Atlantic Avenue station, there was a connection to the Fulton Street (Kings County Electric railroad) line. The easternmost platform of this station is a remnant of this line. The Atlantic Avenue station was rebuilt under the Dual Contracts, and reopened in 1916. When fully operational, it served Fulton Street trains,, Canarsie line trains and Broadway trains.

In 1924, at what is now the other end of the line, a subway line was opened running beneath 14th Street in Manhattan and extending under the East River, through the Williamsburg neighborhood to Montrose and Bushwick Avenues. Four years later, in 1928, this line extended further east beneath Wyckoff Avenue and then south paralleling the New York Connecting Railroad, to a new station at Broadway Junction, above the existing Broadway-Eastern Parkway elevated station. This route was then extended south, connecting to the 6-track Atlantic Avenue BMT station.

In 1931 an additional station was opened at 8th Avenue and 14th Street in Manhattan, connecting the Canarsie Line to the newly-opened Eighth Avenue Independent Subway. This station was built to look like the other IND stations. At this point, the Canarsie Line's route took the shape that it still has to this day.

In the early 1940's the subway line discontinued the use of the Canarsie Pier terminal, terminating instead at Rockaway Parkway. The Canarsie Pier line maintained trolley service until that was replaced by the B42 bus and the right-of-way abandoned and built over. For the record, this right-of-way ran between East 95th and East 96th Streets as far south as Seaview Avenue.

Service patterns over this line varied little through the years; initially trains ran over the Broadway Line from Williamsburg, through Atlantic Avenue and on to Canarsie, then when the subway opened, two services ran from Manhattan - one to Canarsie and one to Lefferts Boulevard (in the rush hours) on the eastern leg of the Fulton Street El. The route was given BMT marker "16", although trains running to Lefferts Boulevard usually were marked as "13". When the Fulton El was torn down, some rush-hour Broadway trains ran through from Eastern Parkway to Canarsie on the "flyover". These were marked as "14". In 1967, when all BMT lines were given letters, the Canarsie line was designated as "LL". The rush-hour Broadway service was designated "JJ", and ran until 1968 when it was replaced by the "KK" which did not run through from Eastern Parkway to Canarsie. The flyover connection has not been used for revenue service since then.

frieze

Trains on the Canarsie Line

The rolling stock on the "L" has been varied over the years, starting undoubtedly with BRT gate cars early on, and then moving to BMT Standards in the teens and 20's. It remained thus all the way up until 1969, when the Standards were put out to pasture. BMT odd cars like the Multi-Section units and Bluebirds appeared alongside the Standards. When the Standards were retired, they were replaced by IND R7 and R9 cars, which served until the late 70's. These were replaced briefly by R16 cars, then R27's and R30's. A few R42 cars, delivered in 1969, also made up part of the fleet. These same R42's, along with their brethren and a group of 46 Slant R40's make up the Canarsie Line's present-day fleet. R40M's can also be found trudging up and down the line. A unconfirmed but reliable report has new R143 cars replacing the R42's and R40's in the year 2001.

frieze

 

 

 

 

 

 

Timeline

1906

 Operated as  a steam railroad between Canarsie Pier and East New  York 

 Opened for BRT service between Rockaway Parkway and Williamsburg, via the Broadway El.

1908 Through  train  service to Canarsie Pier begins

ca. 1916 Atlantic Avenue station rebuilt under Dual Contracts

1920 Through subway service to Canarsie Pier ends; track loop is added at Rockaway Parkway and service to Canarsie Pier is replaced by trolley. Connection to Rockaway Parkway/Wilson Avenue trolley line is added.

1924 First underground segment opens, between 6th Avenue

1924 14th Street and Montrose Avenue

1928 second underground segment opens, between Montrose Avenue and Broadway Junction

1928 Connection to Atlantic Avenue established. Canarsie Line assumes its current shape. Junction.

1931 Third and final underground segment is opened, to 8th Avenue and 14th Street.

1942 Trolley service via the East 95th/East 96th Street right-of-way ends, and the track is abandoned. The trolley line begins operation to Rockaway Pier via Rockaway Parkway.

1951Trolley service to Canarsie Pier ends, and is replaced by the B42 bus.

1956 East end of Fulton El is closed.

1963 New Lots Avenue station burns. and reopened in 1964.

1967 Route designation "LL" is adopted.

1968 Through service between Atlantic Avenue and Eastern Parkway ends.

1969 First air-conditioned cars (R-42) arrive. BMT standards are retired and replaced with R-7

1977 Last of the R-7/R-9 cars are retired. R-16 cars take over.

1983 Grade crossing at E.105th Street eliminated. Station entrance and platform are rebuilt.

1984 Rebuilding of Rockaway Parkway station is completed

1985 Route designation "LL" is changed to "L", sign color changed from black to grey.

1988 R-42/R-40M fleet is put into service.

1994 Slant R-40's make their debut.

2000 Reconstruction begins at Broadway Junction

2001-2002 R143 cars enter service.

 2003Atlantic Avenue station's eastern platform and tracks close, as does the Snediker Avenue curve.

frieze

Construction

The section from Rockaway Parkway/Glenwood Road to Van Sinderen Avenue and East 108th Street is a two-track, grade level railroad. The East 105th Street station, until 1983, was the site of the only grade crossing in the New York transit system. It was rebuilt at that time. A storage yard with at least eight tracks is located just east of the Rockaway Parkway station. The line rises to a low elevated structure running down the center of Van Sinderen Avenue, dividing it into two one-way streets. This elevated structure is approximately 20 feet above street level at New Lots station, rising to about 25 feet by Sutter Avenue. This section was constructed in the early 1900's, as part of the BRT system, opening in 1906.

After Sutter Avenue, the tracks jog slightly left and right and we find ourselves on the first new box-girder elevated structure constructed since the dual-contracts era. The new trackway then recycles a portion of the former Fulton El and we arrive at the recently-reconfigured Atlantic Avenue station, reduced from three platforms and five tracks to two platforms and one track.

This project also included a complete re-do of the Broadway Junction station and the yard leads.

The section between Broadway Junction and Morgan Avenue was opened in 1928. Broadway Junction station features BMT/BRT Contract Three el station architecture, with shaded lamps and arched pillars. The underground stations are similar, with highly ornate mosaic bands adorning the walls, even at island platform stations. In 1924, the original underground section opened between Montrose Avenue, Brooklyn and Sixth Avenue and 14th Street, Manhattan. These underground sections were also built under BMT/BRT Contract Three. The architecture of the 1924 and 1928 sections is similar, except in the 1924 section, at island platform stations, the mosaic bands are up higher, and separated by iron girders. In 1931, a final station was opened at Eighth Avenue and 14th Street. This station originally looked like the IND station with which it shares a connection; a rehab job in 2000 gave it more correct Canarsie-style mosaics and a slightly more "BMT" look and feel.

The entire Canarsie Line is two tracks, with the exception of a third, center layup between Myrtle Avenue and Halsey Street, and between Sixth Avenue and Eighth Avenue.


frieze

Station by Station

The Canarsie Line may be a grind for commuters, but for subway buffs, it is a paradise. The varying types of station construction and breathtaking elevated views delight transit fans. Here's a guide to the stations from Canarsie to Manhattan.

 

The original Canarsie Pier portion opened prior to 1906 as steam railway. Subway service was discontinued in the early 1940's, and the line was abandoned in the 1950's when trolley service ended. This right-of way was located between East 95th and East 96th Street, with stations at Flatlands Avenue, Avenue "L", and Canarsie (Canarsie Pier).   

CANARSIE


The Canarsie terminal when opened had three island platforms and four tracks plus 3 yard leads to the east. There was also a loop which extended south past the Baumann's Hotel and was removed in 1915. At some date after 1906 the Easternmost Island platform was removed and a new yard lead was added.(SOURCE: Track Map found by your webmaster.)

FLATLANDS AVENUE

No further information available.  

AVENUE L

No further information available.

_____________________

ROCKAWAY PARKWAY

 

 

Rockaway Parkway (At Northwest Corner of Rockaway Parkway and Glenwood Road) and has an island platform. 

_________________

EAST 105  STREET

 

 

East 105th Street (Mid point between Foster Avenue and Glenwood Road at East 105th Street) are among the few grade-level stations in the system. Train buffs can get up close and personal with R40, R40M and R42 "L" trains as they wait at Rockaway Parkway and the view from the waiting area at East 105th Street is picturesque. Rockaway Parkway, opened December 28, 1906, rebuilt 1983; East 105th Street, opened December 28, 1906, rebuilt 1983. Both have single island platforms and two tracks.

"...Michael Ingui. Crescendo, 2007. Laminated glass in mezzanine windows and above stairs. Inspired by the architectural design of the station, artist Michael Ingui sought to capture its energy through Crescendo. The brilliant green and blue colors are used to accentuate the geometry and directional quality of the structure--emphasizing the station's structural elements--and to unify the different events on the panels to create a single vision. The lines of the glass panels are in continuous motion--just like the trains and passengers that travel by them every day."

____________________

NEW LOTS AVENUE

 

 

New Lots Avenue (Between Van Sinderen and Junius Street and new Lots Avenue) is an intriguing station, with large trees overhanging the platform sheds. Take a look at the tiny entranceway below the platform. New Lots Avenue opened December 28, 1906, rebuilt 1964 after 1963 fire, two side platforms.

Eugenie Tung. 16 Windows, 2007. Fused glass in platform windscreens. Using windows as a motif, artist Eugenie Tung looks into the daily lives of New Yorkers engaged in their daily routines before (on the Manhattan-bound platform) and after (on the Brooklyn-bound platform) their daily commutes: watering plants, watching TV, eating breakfast, cooking dinner. The artist believes that beauty can be found within these often overlooked ordinary activities; although there may be differences in how they are carried out, the rituals of daily life cross invisible boundaries and unite us all through the concept of home."

________________

LIVONIA AVENUE

 

 

 Livonia Avenue (Between Van Sinderen Avenue and Junius Street at Livonia Avenue) station, the IRT New Lots (#3) line crosses above. Just south of this station is a spur leading to a small yard, which is known as the Linden Shops. Another spur branches off of the IRT line as well. These spurs have no third rails, and are used by NYCT locomotives going to and from the facility. A walkway leads from Livonia Avenue station to the  IRT Junius Street station, but requires the payment of an extra fare. Livonia Avenue opened December 28, 1906, two side platforms.

"...Philemona Williamson. Seasons, 2007.Fused glass in Platform windscreens. Focusing on community activities and family-oriented themes, artist Philemona Williamson brings cheerful flowers, autumn pumpkins, snowflakes, and the cool water of swimming pools to the Livonia Avenue station through the artwork, Seasons. The 18 colorful, painterly glass works highlight shared experiences of the changing seasons. Williamson strove to capture expressions of timelessness and bring light and peace to the station environment, inspiring riders' thoughts and memories of places they have been and the joyful start of each new day."

________________

SUTTER AVENUE

 

 

 Sutter Avenue (Between Van Sinderen Avenue and Junius Street at Sutter Avenue) station is a microcosm of early-20th century BRT construction. Ornate period ironwork adorns the quaint wooden crosswalk beneath the south end of the station and, at the south end of the northbound platform's roof, a quaint, cold-war oddity-a disused air-raid siren. Sutter Avenue opened December 28, 1906, two side platforms .

"...Takayo Noda. The Habitat for the Yellow Bird, 2007.Faceted glass in platform windscreens. Rainbows, butterflies, sunny skies, and shining stars are incorporated into The Habitat for the Yellow Bird. In fabricating the 18 faceted glass panels located on the platforms of the Sutter Avenue station, the artist took great care to include details of her original artwork such as painting minuscule veins and features of the leaves as part of vibrant compositions of flowers, over 100 tiny pieces of glass to portray the brilliance of a single butterfly, subtle shading of the petals of the bold sunflower, and a carefully selected color palette for the delicate field of pansies. Takayo strove to bring cheer and spirit to the transit public through her colorful imaginary landscapes with blue skies and twinkling stars. "

________________________

ATLANTIC AVENUE

 

 

Atlantic Avenue (Between Snediker Avenue and Junius Street at Atlantic Avenue) station is next. This station, whose current structures were built in 1916, has recently been reconfigured. This station is a good example of the Dual Contract architecture. Much of the period woodwork and ironwork is intact. The fare control area was modernized with new lighting and high, rounded windows. Atlantic Avenue, opened June 13 1889 (Fulton El Portion), December 28, 1906 (Canarsie portion) Rebuilt and reconfigured under Dual Contracts 1916, Atlantic Avenue station until 2003 had three island platforms, six trackways, and two tracks in use. There once was a sixth track at the easternmost edge, but this one was removed, leaving five. The center of the three platforms is still there, but is retained as a storage area. The eastern (former northbound) platform is now closed to train service and has been demolished. Two tracks go off to the East New York yard, two proceed north to Broadway Junction, and two others connect to the Broadway "J" line. These are not used for regular revenue service, and have not been used thus since 1968. The two tracks that lead to the yard also divide, with a stub portion still intact which used to lead to the Fulton El. The former southbound Fulton El track is now the northbound track, and was recently connected to the existing Canarsie Line north of Sutter Avenue station, with the remaining structures, including the last remnants of the Fulton El, as well as the portion of the El over Snediker Avenue has been demolished.

________________________

BROADWAY JUNCTION

 

 

Broadway Junction (Entrance at Van Sinderen Avenue between Fulton Street and Eastern Parkway) station is described on the Complexes Page

________________________

BUSHWICK  - ABERDEEN

 

Bushwick-Aberdeen (At the corner of Bushwick Avenue and Aberdeen Street) station has an interesting design. The entrance to this underground station is in a small building at the northeast corner of Bushwick Avenue and Aberdeen Street. The platform is slightly curved to the right, and the two tracks are at different levels at the north end of the station, with the southbound tracks being higher due to their descent from an elevated stretch at Wilson Avenue. The pillars are covered in white tile, with mosaics on each one bearing the station's name, "Bushwick Aberdeen". Mosaic band is predominantly tan and peach, with yellow, green, and purple accents. Bushwick Avenue-Aberdeen Street opened December 14, 1928, and has two side platforms.

________________

WILSON AVENUE

 

 

Wilson Avenue (End of Wilson Avenue at Moffat Street) station has some interesting features. Here the Canarsie Line squeezes in next to the New York Connecting Railroad, and the two tracks are one on top of another. The southbound tracks sit on a low elevated structure, guarded by a tall fence, with a panoramic view of Trinity Cemetery. The northbound tracks are immediately below, and the station gives the impression of being underground, but it is really at street level (note that there are no stairs leading to the station entrance, which is in a dead-end at the foot of Wilson Avenue, just east of Moffat Street). A concrete wall closes off the east side of the lower level; the shed on the upper level runs the entire length of the platform. Mosaic band is predominantly green at edges with a vivid multicolored design throughout, 28 colors in all. The trackside wall once had tiles that matched the platform’s tile but sometime after 1982, these tiles, unfortunately, were removed. Wilson Avenue opened December 14, 1928. Two side platforms, southbound is elevated, northbound is covered by southbound on ground level

________________

HALSEY  STREET

 

 

Halsey Street (On Wyckoff Avenue at Halsey Street) station has two entrances with no mezzanine. The platform ends are offset from each other, with plain white tiles in the tunnel sections. The offset is about sixty feet in length on either end of the station. Some IND-style blue replacement tile can be seen near the Covert Street (east end) exit, see photo above and the mosaic section for details. This has been largely replaced by historically-accurate replacement tile, installed in 2001. Original mosaic band predominates blues and greens, with yellowish accents. Halsey Street opened December 14, 1928, two side platforms

________________________

MYRTLE / WYCKOFF AVENUES

 

Myrtle Wyckoff Avenues (on Wyckoff Avenue at Myrtle Avenue) station is described on the Complexes Page.

________________

DEKALB AVENUE

 

 

DeKalb Avenue (On Wyckoff Avenue at DeKalb Avenue) and Jefferson Street (on Wyckoff Avenue at Jefferson Street) stations are very similar to one another in terms of architecture - both have mezzanines at one end only, the other ends have platform-level exits. Mosaic bands are similar in color and style,

DeKalb Avenue predominating green/blue . Two tracks and two side platforms with crossover

____________________

JEFFERSON  STREET

 

 

Jefferson Street predominating blue/brown. Both have yellow and tan accents. Jefferson Street has some recently-installed historically correct replacement tile near the west exit on the Canarsie-bound side. Two tracks and two side platforms with crossover

It's just different enough from the original tile to be noticeable and noteworthy. Glazed rather than matte, it features bits of speckled tile and uses brighter colors in the center. DeKalb has a similar replacement section (including some perfect "D" icons) at the east end of the station on the outbound side. They matched the earth tones exactly in this case. DeKalb Avenue opened December 14, 1928, two side platforms. Jefferson Street opened December 14, 1928, two side platforms.

_________________

MORGAN AVENUE

 

 

Morgan Avenue (on Harrison Place at Morgan Avenue) station has an unusual entrance - long ramps lead to the station's east end from the mezzanine. This is the only station on the line to have such a feature. The other entrance, at Bogart Street, is dimly lit and has narrow stairways leading to it. Mosaic band is predominantly earth tones of brown, tan, and orange with white accents. Morgan Avenue opened December 14, 1928, two side platforms.

___________________

MONTROSE AVENUE

 

 

Montrose Avenue (on Bushwick Avenue at Montrose Avenue) station certainly qualifies as having among the most beautiful mosaics in the entire subway system. The mosaic band here is of exquisite cut porcelain, with vivid pastel shades of sky blue, cerulean blue, rose, yellow, maize and white, on a background of black, raspberry and grayed lavender. Brilliant blue stripes adorn the top and bottom of the tile band. View the hexagon "M" icon up close at the center stairs of the city bound platform. There is a single entrance with a mezzanine in the center of the station. Somewhere just beyond, on the city bound side, is a long-forgotten ramp leading to the street. This is where BMT Standard cars were fed directly into the subway back in the twenties. Long closed off and forgotten, remnants can be seen from the front of the passing train. Montrose Avenue opened September 21, 1924, two side platforms.

________________

GRAND   STREET

 

Grand Street (on Bushwick Avenue at Grand Street) station has no pillars at the platform edge, possibly due to the fact that the platform curves about 12 degrees. It also has no mezzanine. There is one single exit near the north end of the station. Mosaic band features grays along with aqua, orange, ochre, light blue and light green. Near the south end, gratings can be seen near the ceiling, with the tile band cut out to fit around them. A historically-correct section of replacement tile can also be seen in this area. Grand Street opened September 21, 1924, two side platforms.

After Grand Street station the "L" train slows to a crawl. This area is designated as "no-key-by", meaning that trains must proceed at no more than 15 miles an hour and must not "key by" red signals. A sharp curve just before the Graham Avenue station, with limited sight distance, is the reason.

__________________

GRAHAM AVENUE

 

 

Graham Avenue (On Metropolitan Avenue at Graham Avenue) and is similar to Grand Street in design, with a single platform-level exit near the west end of the station. Again, there are no pillars present here, although the platform is straight. Tile band is ornate, predominating blues and greens, with mauve and peach at the edges. Graham Avenue opened September 21, 1924, two side platforms.

_________________

LORIMER  STREET

 

 

Lorimer Street (On Metropolitan Avenue at Lorimer Street and Union Avenue) station is described on the Complexes Page

__________________

BEDFORD AVENUE

 

 

Bedford Avenue (on North 7th Street between Bedford and Driggs Avenues) station is an island platform with 1924 architecture. The wall tile is separated by girders spaced about every seven feet. There are two exits, each with a mezzanine, one at Bedford Avenue and one at Driggs Avenue. The Driggs Avenue exit differs from the Bedford Avenue exit and has a longer corridor. Where visible, the mosaic band predominates browns, with green at the edges. It can be seen more clearly in the mezzanines. Bedford Avenue opened September 21, 1924, one island platform.

______________

1 AVENUE 

 

 

1st Avenue (On 14th Street at 1st Avenue) .1st Avenue has a mezzanine and 3rd Avenue does not. Neither station has pillars, providing a wide open view from the platforms. Both stations have single exits located near one end of the station. 1st Avenue's exit is located at the far west end. Mosaic bands are similar, with 3rd Avenue adding brown to the mix of blues, greens and yellows. Both stations opened September 21, 1924, and have two side platforms. 

______________

AVENUE

 

3rd Avenue (on 14th Street at 3rd Avenue) stations are cousins. The only difference is that 1st Avenue has a mezzanine and 3rd Avenue does not. Neither station has pillars, providing a wide open view from the platforms. Both stations have single exits located near one end of the station. 1st Avenue's exit is located at the far west end. Mosaic bands are similar, with 3rd Avenue adding brown to the mix of blues, greens and yellows. Both stations opened September 21, 1924, and have two side platforms

_________________

14 STREET

UNION SQUARE

 

 

Union Square (on 14th Street at Union Square) station is described on the Complexes Page.

______________

6 AVENUE

 

 

Sixth Avenue (on 14th Street at 6th Avenue) station is described on the Complexes Page

______________

8 AVENUE

 

 

Eighth Avenue (on 14th Street at 8th Avenue) station is described on the Complexes Page

frieze

The Canarsie Line Mosaics

Few places in the NYCT system have mosaics as beautiful as some of those found on the Canarsie Line. These mosaics were created in the "arts and crafts" style, and contain various geometric shapes: squares, rectangles, oblongs, diamonds, right and isosceles triangles and hexagons. Each station between Sixth Avenue and Bushwick-Aberdeen has a different color pattern. Most of these are constructed of cut ceramic tile, with the exception of Montrose Avenue, Wilson Avenue and Bushwick-Aberdeen, which are made of cut porcelain, highly glazed. The bands are 18.5" high and run the length of the station wall. Hexagonal icons measuring approx. 11.5" wide by 16" high are spaced at approx. 13.5' intervals. The hexagons are not equilateral, rather their top and bottom angles are 36 degrees and their corners are 72 degrees, giving them a slightly flattened shape. Each hexagon bears a single character denoting the station's initial or numeral. Three vertical bands are spaced roughly 4 feet between each icon. These also appear on either side of the icons. Near the top and bottom edges of the band are rows of 2" square tile, with varying colors. Above the vertical bands are 4" x 2 1/4" rectangular tiles, each with a diamond of a different color embossed on them. A single 2" square tile is below each of the vertical bands. A right triangle is located above and below each icon's corner. In the center section of the tile band are irregularly cut tiles of between three and ten different colors, depending on the station. Some of these tiles are square, others are rectangular, and still others triangular. They have no set pattern, the tilesmiths who created them left to their own devices as they were made. Among the most vivid color patterns are those found at Montrose Avenue, Wilson Avenue and Myrtle Avenue. Other stations have more neutral colors, but are handsome nonetheless. Some stations also have slightly smaller tile bands in the station's entrances and mezzanines. These are somewhat similar to the bands at platform level, especially with respect to color, but are only 8 1/2" high and have smaller cut tiles. Stations that do not have mezzanines (3rd Ave., Graham Ave., Grand St. and Halsey St.) lack these decorations.

The Wilson Avenue station's lower-level trackside wall is bare, but once had tiles with a band matching that of the platform-side wall. It is thought that water damage necessitated the removal of these tiles. Also, the Union Square station's mezzanine has been redone with new tile not matching the original, but two sections of the old tile have been lovingly preserved inside red metal frames.

An addendum to the above:

Since all of the subway's original mosaics were granted landmarked status by the City of New York in 1999, alterations to the originals was therefore prohibited except by special exception. This proved to be a good thing for the Canarsie line, as historically-correct sections of tile bands and friezes made their appearances at numerous stations up and down the line. For the most part, these were painstakingly recreated but here and there, a bit of whimsy would creep in and the colors were fancifully enhanced with bits of glazed, mottled and marbleized tile.

Stations with historically-correct additions are as follows:

6th Avenue (mezzanine)

1st Avenue (city-bound entranceway)

Lorimer Street (various places)

Graham Avenue (the first installation, in 1996)

Grand Avenue (east end)

Montrose Avenue (east end)

Jefferson Street (west end)

De Kalb Avenue (east end, mezzanine)

Halsey Street (east end)

Bushwick-Aberdeen (station house)

frieze

The Canarsie Line's Serpentine Route

Nothing like a good, sharp curve excites some subway buffs and annoys the daylights out of everyday riders. The Canarsie Line is full of them. Especially interesting is the track route between Bedford Avenue and Broadway Junction. This section was bent into a serpentine in order not to tunnel under some sections of Williamsburg and Bushwick. Basically, the subway line stayed under the area streets instead of cutting crosswise beneath them. The line starts off in Brooklyn beneath North Seventh Street in northern Williamsburg, and then turns onto Metropolitan Avenue just west of Lorimer Street station. It then continues east to Bushwick Avenue, where it turns sharply southward. South of the Montrose Avenue station, it turns east onto McKibbin Street, then at Bogart Street it veers slightly right then left and onto Harrison Place. At Harrison Place and Flushing Avenue, it turns again southeasterly onto Wyckoff Avenue, running a mile and a half to Moffat Street, where it turns southwest then due south before emerging from its tunnel. At this point, the tracks run east of the streets, parallel to the NY Connecting Railroad. Ride up in the front car of the train to observe this fascinating track layout. And watch how the train leaps out of its tunnel and up a steep ramp as it enters Broadway Junction station.

frieze

New Construction and Restoration

1999: New wall tile has been installed at Union Square Station, with the original tile band showing above. This has been fully cleaned and restored.

2000: Lorimer Street station has undergone a facelift which will leave its original tile intact.

2000-01 The Eighth Avenue station has also undergone renovation, including new lighting and a new tile band in the original style (but slightly different)

1999-2002: Broadway Junction station has undergone a complete makeover, including a new station roof and a new crossover.

2002: Sutter Avenue gets new lighting

2002-2004: Atlantic Avenue's easternmost platform is abandoned and demolished, and service is concentrated on the two westernmost tracks. Snediker Avenue El is abandoned and demolished 

frieze

Maps

 

 

 

Contact us at subway-buff@stationreporter.net

 

 Last revised 01/15/13

Home>NYCT > Transit Today> B Division > L Train

All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.

Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"