Home

  NYCT

  Staten Island

  Port Authority

  NYC Commuter Rail

  America

 The World 

  Contributors

  Links

 

Transit Tech

 

Transit Then

 

Transit Today

 

Transit Tomorrow

 

       R Digital Sign

 

       

For photos see www.nycsubway.org 

This line operates between 71st/Continental Aves in Forest Hills and Bay Ridge-95th Street in Brooklyn from 5:30 AM to 11:30 PM, 7 days a week.  Between 11:30 PM and 5:30 AM, a shuttle operates between Bay Ridge-95th Street and 36th Street-Sunset Park only; bypassing 53rd and 45th Streets in the northbound direction because of track constraints.  During the full route, all trains make all stops. A couple of trains are also stored at 38th Street Yard in Brooklyn (along the West End line near 9th Ave).

 

 

 

________________________

71  AVENUE CONTINENTAL AVENUE

FOREST HILLS

 

 

 

71st Avenue Continental Avenue Forest Hills (Queens Blvd at 71st Ave/108th Street) Opened 12/13/1936:  Express stop, 4 tracks on 2 island platforms, and is the terminus of R, V, and Orange M Trains  There are 3 fare control areas along full width mezzanine.  2 of the 3 fare control areas are near each other along wraparound passageway outside of fare control. The full time booth is near the east end and is closest to 71st Ave/Queens Blvd staircase on south side.  Another part booth in the same area is in the middle and is closest to 108th street71st Avenue.  It is open during AM rush hours, other times; a couple of HEETs can be used.  The other part time booth at the far west end is at 70th Road/Queens Blvd and has only one street stair.  There are 7 street stairs to each platform.  On the platform, the platform wall has green tile band with black border.  Facing the express tracks are the vintage 1936 white signs with black lettering "  Contin-ental Ave Forest Hills" .A renovated and expanded tower is at the far eastern end of the Jamaica-bound platform, another mini-tower also sits on the center of the Manhattan-bound platform but it is seldom used.  Before we enter this station, there are a set of tracks rising from the lower level, one for each direction.  These tracks are used for local trains relaying back downtown, as well as yard moves to the massive Jamaica Yard facility nearby.  They come up and merge with both local and express tracks in “Y” track configuration.

Between 67th Avenue and Roosevelt Ave/Jackson Heights, we see varying bellmouths.  What is known is that the IND's second system plans were to build a new line extension to Far Rockaway (way before the 1950 LIRR fire),  and take over the LIRR operations via. a spur from the Queens Blvd along the present abandoned ROW.  What makes this part of the line so interesting is the number of bellmouths in this area, at least 4 bellmouths, plus a ramp to the lower level at Roosevelt Ave terminal.

___________

67 AVENUE

 

 

67th Avenue (67th Avenue and Queens Blvd) opened 12/13/1936:  Local stop, 4 tracks and 2 side platforms.  Tile band on these stations are light shades of blue.  There are 6 stairs to each platform, plus full length mezzanine with crossover allowed.  The Part time entrance at eastern end has a ghost booth. The Full time side is at western end.  Each fare control has 2 street stairs, one for each side of Queens Blvd that allow underpass usage without paying a fare 

_____________

63 DRIVE

REGO PARK

 

 

63rd Drive Rego Park (63rd drive/Junction Blvd and Queens Blvd) Opened 12/13/1936

The eastern end of the station has two entries/exits. One entry/exit is on the NW corner of 64th Avenue while the other is on the Southwest corner of 64th Road. Years ago there used to be a booth and turnstiles on the Manhattan bound side. Today there is no booth at all, MVMs and HEETs. The mezzanine is split until you get to the main booth/fare control which has two entries/exits. One entry/exit is on the NW corner of 63rd Drive and the other entry/exit is mid-block Southwest between 64th Road and 63rd Drive. Note 63rd Drive on the South Side of QB turns into 63rd Drive in the North Side of QB. Here on the mezzanine is the main and only booth and is open 24/7 and the station's only free crossover. Then you have one entry/exit mid-block Northwest between 63rd Road and Junction Blvd and one entry/exit Southwest on the corner of 63rd Drive. These two entries/exits used to be exit only until recently. Now, they have HEETs .

 

________________________

WOODHAVEN BOULEVARD

QUEENS MALL 

 

 

Woodhaven Boulevard Queens Mall AKA Woodhaven Blvd-Slattery Plaza (Woodhaven Blvd/Horace Harding Blvd/59th Ave and Queens Blvd)  Opened 12/13/1936:  Local stop, although prior 1930's plans were to convert this station into an express stop, once the line from lower Roosevelt Ave terminal (see Roosevelt Ave/Jackson Heights complex info.) to the Winfield spur and the Rockaways would open.  A close observation at outside both ends of this station does reveal the tunnel wall extends outward to allow space for an island platform.  It never happened so it's still a local stop.  The station was renovated in the 1990's, but thankfully retains the 1930's "Woodhaven Blvd-Slattery Plaza" name tablet and "Horace Harding Blvd" directional signs below the name tablet.  The Queens Center Mall first opened in 1972, but the name conversion on subway maps was not in use until the late 1980's.  There is no direct indoor access to the Mall's entrance across 59th Ave from the Full time mezzanine.  The mezzanine allows crossover from any of the station's 4 staircases from each platform (total of 8 staircases).  There are 3 street stairs on the Full time side at the western end of the mezzanine.  One staircase leads to north side of Queens Blvd and 59th Ave and is the most heavily used staircase because it is closest to Queens Mall and some bus lines.  The other 2 staircases are through a semi long passageway to the south side of Queens Blvd and both sides of Woodhaven Blvd.  Had the Winfield spur was ever constructed and built, this passageway would most likely be a free transfer to/from the Queens Blvd line and the Winfield/Rockaway line instead.  The part time side at Horace Harding Blvd has a ghost booth and 1 street stair.  Since the construction of the Long Island Expressway in the mid-1950's the station entrance at street level appears to be orphaned, out of character with the rest of the area since there is nothing for 300 feet in any direction and is too close to an expressway exit ramp.  Artwork:  "In Memory of The Lost Battalion" by Pablo Tauler (1996) takes nine support beams in the station's mezzanine and creates different materials, such as stainless steel and other material, to honor the soldiers who served in the 77th Infantry in Yaphank, NY during World War 2.Between Woodhaven and Grand Ave, we see a bellmouth inward; again this was part of the failed Winfield/Rockaway spur. 

___________________

GRAND AVENUE

NEWTOWN 

 

Grand Avenue Newtown (Grand Ave/Broadway at Queens Blvd) Opened 12/13/1936 Local stop, 4 tracks and 2 side platforms.  Full length mezzanine, however due to the setup of fare control and booth area being at the middle of this mezzanine, crossover is only allowed at the easternmost staircase.    Each side has 2 street stairs, however only the staircases at Grand Ave and Broadway at the western end, are open 24 hours a day.  The other 2 staircases by the crossover are closed at night, however there is HEET access at both ends without having to walk down to the middle of the mezzanine in order to enter fare control.  It is evident from the 2 closed staircases at the Manhattan-bound side, that there were 2 fare control areas, one at each end.  Manhattan-bond side has 4 stairs, plus the 2 closed staircases mentioned, while Jamaica bound side has 5 staircases.  Tile band is a darker shade of blue.

______________

ELMHURST AVENUE

  

 

Elmhurst Avenue (Elmhurst/Britton Avenues on Broadway)  Opened 12/13/1936 Local stop, similar setup on the mezzanine area as Grand Avenue, only this time the crossover is allowed at the western end, around an exit staircase (sometimes difficult to spot if you do not use this station on a regular basis.).   Unlike Grand Ave, any staircase can be used to crossover; however you must walk to the western end of the mezzanine in order to do.  A total of 5 street stairs at both ends, fare control is at the middle, showing evidence that there were 2 separated fare control areas.  Staircase at Britton Ave on western end has a small arcade of stores.   Each platform has 7 stairs to/from mezzanine.  Up until the early 1980's, this station was a direct connection with the LIRR's Port Washington branch at the now-abandoned Elmhurst station, about 1/2 block away.  

As we about to enter Roosevelt Ave, we see a semi-sealed tunnel along with what were supposed to be a switch about 800 feet to the north.  This was supposed to be a track way to the Roosevelt Ave terminal station on the lower level of Roosevelt Ave station, we even see the almost finished tunnel making it's descent from the local track. 

________________________

ROOSEVELT  AVENUE

JACKSON HEIGHTS

  

 

Roosevelt Avenue Jackson Heights is discussed on the Complexes Page

 

______________

65  STREET 

 

 

65th Street (65th Street and Broadway) opened 8/19/1933Local stop, 4 tracks and 2 side platforms.  Tile band is purple. The current and surviving full time mezzanine is at the eastern end.  Signs to the Forest Hills-bound platform strategically positioned on the wall, instead of hanging over the staircase.  The reason for this was the original 1933 IND tile sign read "Jamaica and Rockaway", meaning the IND went too fast in saying the Winfield/Rockaway spur would be built in advance, yet these signs were never covered until at late as 1998.  The 1933 IND Manhattan-bound tile signs are left intact to this day.  Both sides had fare controls and ghost booths at platform levels at the far western end, opposite end of the current mezzanine, they are sealed.   There are 3 stairs to each platform and 2 street stairs.

As we leave 65h Street, the express tracks are depressed and break away from us, for only for a few stops.  The E and F express now run underneath Northern Blvd, while we continue under Broadway, make a left onto Steinway Street before meeting up with the express trains underneath Northern and Steinway.  The reason for this is Broadway and Steinway Streets are very narrow streets and it would be impossible to align 4 tracks side by side underneath these streets.  The IND was the only one of the 3 NYC transit systems that had the express tracks take a shortcut off the main line, while skipping a few stops, (aside from the BMT use of the Manhattan Bridge).  Only other place along the IND where express train take a mini-shortcut is the section between 7th Ave and Church Ave on the F line in Brooklyn, currently not in active use except for late night and weekend G.O. diversions 

______________

NORTHERN BOULEVARD 

 

 

Northern Boulevard (Northern Blvd and Broadway) opened 8/19/1933:  Local stop, 2 tracks and 2 side platforms.  Exit at western end by Northern Blvd and Broadway, fare controls are at platform level so no crossover or crossunder is allowed.  Full time booth is Manhattan bound while Forest Hills booth is open part time, other times, HEET access is required. Each fare control has only 1 street stair.  Closed exits at eastern end on both side, IND direction tile "56th St.", and arrow are left intact on both platforms.

   

____________

46  STREET 

 

 

46th Street (46th Street and Broadway) Opened 8/19/1933Local stop,  2 tracks and 2 side platforms.  Like Northern Blvd, all fare control areas are at platform level and there is no mezzanine.   Manhattan-bound side has full time area at 46th Street (western end), and part time entrance and booth at Newton Ave side.  Forest Hills-bound side has a part time booth with nightly and weekend HEET access and another HEET only entrance (no booth) at Newtown Road side.  Contrary to myth about the area in the center of the platform, there never was a 3rd exit constructed, the original IND directional signs only have 46th and 48th Streets, no 47th Street is visible or covered.

__________________

STEINWAY  STREET

 

 

 

Steinway Street (Steinway Street, about 200 feet south of Broadway) Opened 8/19/1933   Local stop, 2 tracks and 2 side platforms.  There are 2 separate mezzanines at both ends of the station; crossover is allowed on both sides.  Full time side on Steinway Street and about 200 feet south of Broadway with 2 street stairs, while part time side is at 34th Ave and Steinway Street, has booth that is open during Monday-Friday, during the day and evening and weekend HEET access, plus 2 street stairs and 1 stair to each platform.  From the full time area, there are 2 small staircases on the Manhattan bound side, while the Forest Hills bound side has a single platform wide staircase that makes it easier to exit the station.  Good move by the IND at that time, it is the busiest local station between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Avenue. Leaving Steinway Street, the express tracks for the E and F lines rejoin forming a four track line

 

_____________

36 STREET 

 

 

36th Street (36th  Street and Northern Blvd)  Opened 8/19/1933Local stop, 4 tracks, 2 side platforms, no crossover or crossunder is present, so you have to go to either Queens Plaza or Steinway Street if you need to double back.  Manhattan-bound side has platform level mezzanine and 3 street stairs, one of which stretches out 1 block to the north at 37th Street, via a platform-level passageway.  One HEET is available so a MetroCard or Single ride ticket can be used to enter the station without taking the long walk down to the main fare control area.  The Forest Hills bound side has 2 mezzanines, north end is HEET access, and south end has a part time booth.  Both ends have 1 street stair to exit.   Route selector punch boxes are found at the Manhattan-bound local and express tracks. This location is where F trains divert to 21st Street Queensbridge.

. 

________________

QUEENS PLAZA

 

 

 

Queens Plaza (Jackson Ave, at Bridge Plaza South/Queens Blvd) opened 8/19/1933:   This station has been renovation by Arena Construction.  .  4 tracks, 2 island platforms along curved section.  Tile band is purple,.  Before the renovation, the station had full length mezzanine (inside and outside fare control) with as many as 3 booths.  Full time booth is near the center of the mezzanine has 3 street stairs  and outside passage to 2 more street stairs at south end, near ghost booth.  The old-style change booth was in place as recent as 1998 before it was subsequently removed.  2 of the outside entrances were redone to match the color of the NYC DOT indoor parking lot structure, when it was constructed in 1975.  The part time booth has 2 street stairs and 1 stair to each platform.  A station facility now blocks the passage between part time and full time fare control areas inside fare control, thus the mezzanine is divided in half (consistent with other IND mezzanine reconfigurations). The full time area now boasts of balconies that allow you to see the local trains and platforms down below, There are 3 stairs to each platform from the full time end, 2 stairs in between both fare control areas were removed during the renovation process. 

According to the MTA Web Site "...Look Up, Not Down, 2005. Glass mosaics on mezzanine walls. In Look Up, Not Down, Ellen Harvey asks riders to pretend that they are gazing skyward at the view that exists above the station. Her series of mosaic murals depict the sky on a sunny day, with the skyline forming a thin frame at the bottom of each mosaic, and represents the actual cityscape at the time it was created. The work guides travelers to the surrounding streets at this busy transportation hub. The piece celebrates the romance of the skyline as seen from Queens, imagined as the center of the city. At a time when the New York City skyline may be associated with loss, Look Up, Not Down shows the skyline as an image of hope and beauty. The sun marks the former location of the World Trade Center. In years to come, as the city continues to reinvent itself, the mosaics will serve as a view of a past moment in time.

 

_____________________

LEXINGTON  AVENUE

59 STREET

 

 

 

Lexington Avenue/59th Street is discussed on the complexes page

 

________________________

5  AVENUE

59 STREET

 

5th Avenue 59th Street (5th Ave at 60th Street) Opened 8/1/1920:  In house renovation, 2 tracks, 2 side platforms, and 2 mezzanine areas.  The renovation not only finally gets rid of the 60’s refrigerator tile, but preserves the original station name tablets.  Most of the local stations along the Broadway line within the past 10 years, were renovated in this manner, and shows how a mix of nostalgia with contemporary design shows a true winner in station design.  Full time side at north end by 60th Street has 3 street stairs, one carved into the outer perimeter of Central Park; other 2 staircases are across 5th Ave.  Replicas of BMT directional mosaics “QUEENS TRAINS” and “BROOKLYN TRAINS” are found on the full time side. The part time side at Central Park South, by the Plaza Hotel, has a ghost booth (closed in 2003), and 3 street stairs as well.  Each mezzanine has 1 stair to each platform.  Mosaics “5” “Fifth Ave” and the directional signs on each platform are fully preserved with new tiles encircling around them.  Artwork:  “Urban Oasis” by Ann Schaumburger (1997), uses glass mosaic murals to depict a family of penguins, and reminds us of our childhood days when we visited the nearby Central Park Zoo. (I sure do remember being inside the mouth of a whale statue at the zoo years ago!)   

_____________________

 

57 STREET LEXINGTON AVENUE

 

 

57th Street 7th Avenue Opened 7/10/1919 Express stop, 4 tracks, 2 island platforms, 2 mezzanines (no full length mezzanine was ever constructed), it was renovated in-house in 1999.  This station sits outside Carnegie Hall, and has names of legendary artists and actors/actresses who performed in any capacity at the landmark building upstairs, one name and the year of appearance at Carnegie Hall, is shown on each tile.  Full time mezzanine is at 57th Street while the part time mezzanine is at 55th Street and is closed nightly and Sunday until 2 PM.  Each mezzanine has 4 street stairs.  The “57” mosaics on both track walls is preserved and not covered.  An active tower is at the south end of the southbound platform. 

According to the MTA Web Site "...Josh Scharf. Carnegie Hall Montage, 1994.Ceramic tiles on north and south mezzanine walls; porcelain enamel on north mezzanine walls. Carnegie Hall Montage is a colorful arrangement of images in porcelain on steel that shows the range of artists who have performed on the world-renowned stage. Some depict Carnegie Hall's classical pedigree; such as Leonard Bernstein and Marian Anderson, for example, while others portray the Beatles, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Eleanor Roosevelt, as testament to the importance of the stage. Nearby, hundreds of white tiles with text commemorate the names, professions, and appearance date of notables who graced Carnegie's stage. In the words of Carnegie Hall activist Gino Francesconi: "I have always felt that the subway station directly below Carnegie Hall should reflect the history of the building just as the subways of Moscow and Paris do their own cultural institutions ... It reminds one of the connection between the city and its art."

___________

49 STREET

 

 

 

49th Street (49th Street and 7th Ave) Opened 7/10/1919Of all the renovation jobs that were done in the past 35 years, this station is clearly the best.  Despite the appearance of red brick throughout all of the walls on both sides, the renovation took in the early 1970’s.  Local station, 4 tracks, 2 side platforms, and 2 fare control areas on each side.  Since all 4 fare controls are at platform level, there is no crossover allowed. The full time booth is on the uptown side on 49th Street (at the north end), and feature 2 street stairs for each side.  The North bound side is wheelchair accessible only, an elevator was constructed in conjunction with a new office tower at the Northeast corner of West 49th Street and 7th Ave, therefore the north staircase was reconstructed to conform to the building’s design.  Behind the elevator and rebuilt staircase are an out of system underground passageway to Rockefeller Center and the 47-50th Street station of the IND B/D/F/Orange M and former V Sixth Ave lines.  Of the 4 street entrances, only the S/W corner (to Brooklyn-bound platform) retains the 1970’s red brick appearance.  All of the other entrances, including the 47th Street part time exits, were reconstructed over the past 15 years. The part time  sides are at 47th Street and 7th Ave, 1 street stairs on N/B side and HEET only access on Sundays.  False brick tiles were added sometime after the renovation, these indicate a station facility inside.  The color of the added tiles is slightly different from the brick tile used in the original renovation.  The South bound side at 47th Street has 2 street stairs and HEET access on nights and weekends.  The exit to Broadway and West 47th Street, through a small passageway is an addition and not part of the original station, or the renovation.

  

________________

42 STREET

TIMES SQUARE

 

 

 

42nd Street is discussed on the complexes page

 

__________________

34  STREET

HERALD SQUARE 

 

34th Street Herald Square is discussed on the complexes page

 

____________

28  STREET

 

 

 

28th Street (28th Street and Broadway) Opened 4/14/1918Local stop, 2 tracks on 2 side platforms, there may have been a crossunder at this station outside fare control, but there is no evidence.  Renovated in 2001 by NYCT's in-house forces, the station restores the "28" mosaics and station name tablets to its original BRT splendor.  Each mezzanine at platform level has 2 street stairs, and false walls at both side at the north end of each platform show the platform extended about 10 feet.  In the next 4 stations from here to Prince Street, there is a mini-IND style tile band running at the bottom of the platform wall (instead on the top where most IND stations are like that.), the color for this band is brown with blue borders.  Artwork is untitled but features a dazzling array of space creatures, and other objects.

"... Mark Hadjipateras. City Dwellers (for Costas and Maro), 2002.Glass mosaic on platform walls. The Toy Center and the Flatiron Building are located near the subway station at 28th Street and Broadway, as are the flowers, fur, and garment districts. Each of these areas inspired artist Mark Hadjipateras, whose glass mosaics are rendered in a playful cartoon-like style. City Dwellers animates the walls of the station with a series of robot-like creatures. The figures are joyous and fanciful, but closer examination reveals universal symbols and forms that reflect the neighborhood and its history - technology, toys, and commerce. These inventions invite riders to guess at their meanings; while they may seem familiar, the artist holds the key. In his proposal, Hadjipateras cited some of his plentiful sources: plants and flowers, patterns based on national flags, Greek ethnic garb, a family, New York taxis, radio broadcast waves, etc. Filtered through the artist's sensibility, the result is a unique and compelling station environment."

 

_____________________

 

23 STREET

 

 

 

 

23rd Street (23rd Street and Broadway/5th Ave-- "Madison Square") opened 4/14/1918:    Local stop with 4 tracks and 2 side platforms.  Renovated and restored to the 1918 BRT splendor by NYCT in-house in 2001.  If you noticed why the platform level mezzanines are much larger than most stations, it's because when the station opened in 1918, it served Madison Square Garden II, one block to the east named after the intersection), the fare control had to be large enough to accommodate crowds there.  (The first two MSG venues were located on Madison Ave near East 24th Street.).  There is a sealed crossunder inside fare control; it was closed for safety reasons.  There are 4 street stairs on the Northbound side and 2 street stairs on the southbound side.  Each side also has HEET access to East 22nd St and Broadway.  The historic Flatiron building, the city's first skyscraper building, is outside the southbound exits.  Tile band is beige, while the artwork features many hats from the 19th and 20th centuries.  Neighborhood maps show this area as the Ladies Mile where at one time large manufacturing bases of hat producing factories were concentrated in this area.

 

Person

Occupation

William Randolph Hearst

Newspaper publisher

Edwin Porter

Film Maker

Charles Melville Dewey

Artist

Sarah Bernhardt

Actress

James Corbett (Gentleman Jim)

Boxer

Eleanor Roosevelt

Humanitarian (Former First lady)

Scott Joplin

Composer

Mary Pickford

Film Actress

Mary Gardeo

Operatic Soprano

Clement C. Moore

Author

Oscar Wilde

Writer and poet

Maud Nathan

Reformer

Fay Templeton

Singer/Actress

Jim Brady

Business Man

Nellie Bly

Stunt person and Journalist

Stanford White

Architect

Evelyn Nesbit

Actress

Jake Harnett

Police Man

William Sidney Porter (O.Henry)

Author

Grace LaRue

Singer

Lillian Russell

Prima Donna

John Barrymore

Actor

Lillie Langtry

Actress

Mark Twain

(Samuel Clemens)

Author

Eva Tanghay

Entertainer

Harry Houdini

(Erich Weiss)

Magician

Harriet Blatch

Suffragist

Sadakichi Hartman

Art Critic and Writer

Joseph Barondess

Labor Leader

Gertrude Kasebier

Photographer

Arthur B. Davis

Artist

Billie Burke

Entertainer

Florenz Ziegfeld

Theatrical producer and Impresario

Edward Penfield

Graphic Artist

William A Pendergast

NYC Comptroller

William Barclay Parsons

Chief Engineer of Rapid Transit Commission

Chaim Zhitovsky

Philosopher

William DuBois

Civil Rights Leader

Samuel Gompers

Labor Leader

Phineas T. Barnum

Museum Owner/ Circus Entrepreneur

Tom Thumb (C. S. Stratton)

Circus performer for P.T. Barnum

Jessie Tarbox Beals

Photographer

Theodore Gordon

Environmentalist

Bert Williams

Comedian/ Singer and Dancer

Henry James

Novelist

Anna Held

Actress

Isadora Duncan

Dancer

Augustus St Gaudens

Sculptor

Ethel Barrymore

Actress and Theater owner

Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney

Sculptor and Art Patron

Robert Adamson

Fire Commissioner

Thomas Alva Edison

Inventor

Loïe Fuller

Dancer

Marcelle Earle

Ziegfeld Girl

Winslow Homer

Painter

Marie Curie

physicist

Charles Ives

Composer

Norma Tallmadge

Artist

Julia Ward Howe

Poet

Robert Ross McBurney

YMCA Founder

 

   

 

________________

14  STREET

NISQUARE 

 

14th Street Union Square is discussed on the complexes page

 

______________

8  STREET

 

 

8th Street (8th street and Broadway) opened 4/14/1918Local stop, 4 tracks on 2 side platforms.  Platform level mezzanines are at 8th Street with 2 street stairs on thee northbound side and 4 street stairs on the southbound side.  Additional HEET access and ghost booths at south end of this station.  Brown stripe on tile band and artwork features people (a man wearing an I Love NY t-shirt, for example) and places around Greenwich Village, East Village, NY University and Washington Square Park

".Timothy Snell. Broadway Diary, 2002. Glass mosaic on platform walls. Commenting on his work, artist Timothy Snell says, "The mosaic is composed of 40 'portholes' that depict scenes and historic sites of the neighborhood (Grace Church, Washington Arch, Cooper Union, Astor Place, the vista of Broadway). ... The loose gestural rendering and free use of color with simplified imagery injects a light moment in the hectic schedule of the commuter passing through the station. ... Spreading the elements around the station in an architectural format ... integrates the artwork with the space ... This provides moments of diversion at various locations for people waiting and small surprises for repeat travelers in transit through this station. The repeat of elements like the cyclist through a series of panels in a loose use of line and color was a device to add motion and allow more abstract considerations to enter into the work with the hook of recognizable subject matter."

________________

PRINCE  STREET 

 

 

Prince Street (Prince Street and Broadway) Opened 4/14/1918Local stop, 4 tracks and 2 side platforms.  There is only one fare control to each side and the tile band is green with blue borders.  Artwork: "Carrying On", by Janet Zweig (2004), uses water jet-cut steel, marble, and slate to create a mural along then entire length of both platforms, for a total of 1,200' in length.  The 194 different frames in this frieze detail, contain images of New Yorkers from all walks of life.  As the title suggests, almost all of the images involve "carrying something", a shopping cart, purse, bags, etc.  This is something to remind ourselves that even with the aftermath of 9/11, we always carry on with our lives and go about our business.

   

_________________

CANAL  STREET 

 

 

Canal Street is discussed on the complexes page

                                                                 

____________

CITY HALL

  

 

City Hall (Broadway at east side of City Hall Park, by Murray Street)  Opened 4/14/1918Noteworthy for being only one of 2 single island platform stations to have the fare control area on the same level as the platform, the other station is 110th Street/Central Park North on the IRT 2/3 lines.  You can double back in the opposite direction, as long at you go around the fare control area.  The BMT mosaic is (you guessed it), City Hall on the platform walls, along with platform extensions on the south end.  There is a ghost booth and sealed entrance on the south end, it led to the Woolworth building.  There are 3 street stairs, only one is open during late night hours.  Facing the southbound side are 2 staircases to the disused Lower level platform, which has 3 tracks and 2 island platforms.  The staircases only lead to the west platform (due south) and no staircases were ever built on the east platform, it was originally planned by the BRT as a terminal for express trains from Uptown here.  This area is only used for storing W and some R trains.  The lower level tunnel continues south of this station, no track here, to an unknown area.  Back on the active upper level, a master tower that controls train movements up and down the entire BMT Broadway line in Manhattan, is at the north end.

  

____________________

CORTLANDT STREET

 

 

Cortlandt Street (Cortlandt Street and Church Street) opened 4/14/19182 tracks on 2 side platforms.  This station has connections to the PATH World Trade Center station, and is a survivor of the 9/11 attack of the Twin Towers (which were directly upstairs from this station.)  It was renovated in 1998 by NYCT's in house forces and actually restores the original look of the station, including preservation of all directional name tablets on both sides.  The presence of the restored "To Hudson Tubes" and "to Downtown/Hudson Tubes", proves that NYCT is committed to preserve the original components of future station renovations whenever possible.  The Hudson Tubes was the predecessor to today's PATH system, and operated a terminal station underneath the Hudson Terminal building near the same location at the current WTC station.  Current layout has 4 fare control areas, of which 2 are on each side.  The full time areas are at Dey Street at the north end with an underpass outside fare control that also leads to a lower level with artwork.  The artwork is titled "Trade, Treasures and Travel (1997) by Margurie Hught, she uses ceramic to display several wall sized images, the former WTC is among one of them.  The Southbound area has direct indoor access to PATH World Trade Center, as well as the World Trade Center E Train station.  The southbound platform is also ADA accessible via. ramp from PATH WTC station and PATH elevator from street level, there is no disabled access to the northbound platform. The part time areas are to the south end at Cortlandt Street, the Northbound side has 1 street stair and exit to an adjacent office building, while the S/B side has only 1 street stair, ghost both (removed in 2003), and 24/7 HEET access.
 

___________________

RECTOR  STREET

 

 

Rector Street (Rector Street and Trinity Place) opened 4/14/1918:  2 tracks on 2 side platforms, no crossunder or crossover here.  The station suffers from a lack of identity, as it is now the only BMT station in Manhattan to have the dreaded 60's refrigerator tile, it is blue.  All the other BMT local stations in Manhattan are either renovated or restored stations. The full time side on both sides at Rector Street. The northbound side has 3 street stairs and the southbound side has 4 street stairs.  The staircases themselves look skeletal, it appears that much of the Dual Contracts footprints were removed but never replaced, like the shell for instance.  Another exit only staircase is on the southbound side, about midway through this station.  On the northbound side, a newly constructed HEET only entrance/exit is at the far south end and leads to Morris and Greenwich Streets.  Standing on the southbound platform, to the left of fare control, you can see the remains on the original BMT mosaics and where the platform originally started, along with the original station name tablet exposed, this area is not part of the station that is publicly accessible. There is an original Rector Street at the far north end of the public space within the uptown platform along with an odd looking blue tile wall. The mosaic on both fare control areas is "R" for Rector St, and serves Trinity Church .The original Columbia University was founded in the same location as Trinity Church before the relocation uptown.

 

_____________________

WHITEHALL  STREET

SOUTH FERRY

 

 Whitehall Street South Ferry is discussed on the complexes page

 

______________

COURT  STREET

 

 

Court Street is discussed on the complexes page

 

____________________

LAWRENCE  STREET

  

 

Lawrence Street (Lawrence and Willoughby Streets) opened 1/1/19202 tracks on 1 island platform.  The station has a full time area at Lawrence Street, with 3 street stairs, and a escalator.  The escalator is exit only and bypasses the fare control area, high exit gates are at the top of the escalator.  The part time side at Bridge Street has ghost booth and 24/7 HEET access.  The original directional sign exits are preserved, while the platform extends deep to the north end. 

This station has been connected to the Jay Street Station (See A Lefferts, A Rockaway , C Train or F Train pages) with a new in system transfer. This complex is described on the complexes page. It is now called Jay Street MetroTech for the entire complex.

________________________

DEKALB AVENUE

 

DeKalb Avenue (DeKalb Ave and Flatbush Ave Extension) Opened 1/15/1915Realignment in 1957. .  Station is six tracks, 2 island platforms,  3 fare control areas, and 5 stairs to each platform.  The outermost tracks are called "Bridge" tracks because they run to/from the Manhattan Bridge and are used primarily for B and Q trains.  The next 2 tracks are called "Tunnel" tracks for they operate to/from the Montague tunnel.   R trains and late night N trains use these tunnel tracks.  The middle 2 tracks bypass this station, they both operate to/from the Bridge, N and D trains use them to bypass DeKalb (except late nights where they stop at DeKalb), hence the term “DeKalb bypass” 

Here are the facts on these 6 tracks: 

A Manhattan-bound train coming into the station must use the Bridge or tunnel route, they cannot switch routes once they arrive in the station.  So the Bridge side is the "local side" while the tunnel is the express side. 

A Brooklyn-bound train entering DeKalb bypass from the bridge, cannot access the Brighton line, the train is forced to use the 4th Ave express tracks.  This rule also applies for Manhattan-bound travel as Brighton line trains cannot use the DeKalb bypass. 

Prior to the 1956-57 reconfigurations, things were quite different.  A Manhattan-bound train could use either track in the station, and when leaving, can use the diamond “X” crossover switches just north of the station.  Even DeKalb bypass had a switch to the Montague tunnel track, the area by the north where there was no wall separating the bypass track and tunnel track, was the location of the switch (Ever wondered why the wall at DeKalb Ave falls short of the entire length of the old platform BEFORE the north extension?).  Now with the ongoing renovation, this area now has a wall to match with the rest of the existing wall on the tunnel side.  Southbound from Bridge or Tunnel is essentially the same, with the X crossover before entering DeKalb and the lone switch from tunnel to DeKalb bypass can be made.  The platform was curved to the south, the same area that is currently abandoned before the Brighton/4th Ave split is still there.  The switches to/from Brighton and DeKalb were slightly further to the south.  This accounts why on the Bridge side, that B and Q trains have a slight S curve in both directions between DeKalb and Atlantic Ave stations. In June, 1957, the curved southern portion of DeKalb Ave was closed and abandoned in favor of a straight platform to the north, and the current setup of switches are in place.  This included the removal of the X crossover switches just north of DeKalb Ave.  The north platform extension was built sometime in the 1960’s

The full time booth is at the south end by DeKalb Ave and features artwork.  The middle staircase is a crossover, as during the renovation one staircase is removed. At the middle crossover area there is a sealed exit only to the outside of a bank building. This exit was originally closed until the first stage of the recent renovation reopened this exit. The exit is now sealed again, and has the original BMT tile and mosaics, not the replicas that dot the rest of this station (although the replica mosaics are outstanding.)    These stairs were used to be connected to the F/T side until installation and expansion of the DeKalb Ave tower and other RTO facilities took place, so it was a full passageway.  During the 1960's platform extensions (to conform with IND train lengths once Chrystie was completed), the platforms were extended to the north and a new part time fare control area was installed.  The last bits of evidence of the platform extension of 60's wall tile bands in the same design as Grand Street on the bridge side; however they are being covered with the retro BMT look.  The tunnel tracks depress slightly in relation to the other 4 tracks at the north end where the extension was built.  The DEKALB AVE and BMT mosaics are near identical replicas, additional extra large diamond and "X" mosaics are installed on the F/T mezzanine walls.  Elevator to street is on the southwest corner of Flatbush and DeKalb Avenues.  As built it was a local stop for the Fourth Avenue Local (As evidenced in the Booths being prefaced by the letter "C".) When the Brighton Line was extended from Prospect Park the current track against the wall (Bridge Tracks) was added via the wall being pushed back.

According to the MTA Web Site "...Stephen Johnson-DeKalb Improvisation, 2005.Glass mosaic on mezzanine walls. Stephen Johnson describes his mosaic mural and his inspiration for the energy it conveys: "My idea for these murals is to convey a sense of joy through an exuberant juxtaposition of colors, shapes, and familiar images. ... On the surface, the variety of colors and shapes in the mosaics resemble collages and invite the traveler to consider the multiple layers of images found on city walls, particularly in the subway, where posters may tear, revealing previous images and forming exciting compositions....The glass is as diverse as the station's passengers, whose ethnic origins stem from Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. ... I wanted the abstract design to be balanced with realistic images that people can instantly get." The work brings vibrancy and texture to the station environment.

_________________

BARCLAYS CENTER

  

 

Barclays Center ( was Pacific Street is discussed on the complexes page

 

_________________

UNION  STREET

  

 

Union Street (Union Street and 4th Ave) Opened 6/22/1915  Tile is gray on the northbound side, and plain white on the southbound side.  This station was renovated (if you call that a renovation.), as the 60’s refrigerator tile is retained.  .  Artwork:  “CommUnion” by Emmett Wigglesworth (1994) shows what appears to be a bunch of people fitted into a straw.  The same artwork is located above every name tablet on both sides. Colorful arrowed tiles are along the track wall, and the warning strip is the old style double orange line (same as 34th Street/IND station).  Each side has two staircases to street and booth and fare control is at platform level, there is no mezzanine, cross-over or cross-under.  Evidence of 60’s platform extensions are visible to the north end, where the platform ceiling is lower than normal, most of the local stations along the 4th Avenue line are similar in appearance  The renovation was actually a determent to this station as the Southbound side shows a complete absence of color anywhere 

"...Emmett Wigglesworth. CommUnion, 1994. Porcelain enamel on platform walls; tile design on track walls. In this series of 22 panels set into recessed areas above the subway station signs, symbolic figures move about and interact with one another. Although separated by spacing between panels, each is linked by their graphic quality to form a relationship with those nearby. The artist explains his concept: "As a unit they form a composite to symbolically show as in a 'union' the best of each part of racial, religious, and cultural life make the most positive picture. The community above the Union Street station is mirrored in these panels because they are successfully working at making their community into this reality." Additionally, the station has a series of track wall panels designed by the artist.

 

 

_______________

9  STREET

4 AVENUE

  

 

9th Street 4th Avenue is discussed on the complexes page

 

____________________

PROSPECT AVENUE

  

 

Prospect Avenue (underneath Prospect Expressway at 4th Ave/17th Street) opened 6/22/1915Tile color blue.  Platform curves slightly at north end, 1 stair to street at S/B side, 2 street stairs at the northbound side.  Booth and fare control on platform level so no re-entry is allowed on the opposite side.  BRT mosaic “P” is near the exits.

 

______________

25 STREET

  

 

25th Street (25th Street and 4th Ave) Opened 6/22/1915:  Tile color Orange.  Clear evidence of 60’s platform extension is on the north end, there is no track wall tile.  At fare control, there is the old style change booth opposite the current station agent booth

 

______________

36  STREET

 

 

36th Street (36th Street and 4th Avenue) Opened 6/24/1917 this station serves Bush Terminal; it had an in-house renovation in 1997.  Express stop, 2 island platforms, 4 tracks, relay tracks for shuttles to the north, turnouts to West End line to the south.  The station has 2 sets of stairs to each platform, 3 staircases to street.  The West End line Y shaped turnouts are where the original 36th St station stood before it was relocated to the north, about 100 feet south of this station.  The mezzanine also features the original X shaped BRT tile band, common in most BMT stations today, and looks restored.  Artwork in mezzanine, inside fare control, features “An Underground Movement; Designers, Builders, and Riders” by Oliver Smith.  Using ceramic mosaics, the artwork depicts the origins of the BRT (hence we now call it the BMT), from the Design, to Building the subway, to the riders of the subway.  The Design painting also has the BRT “X” mosaic.  Platform extensions are clearly to the north end 

 

45 STREET

  

 

45th Street (45th Street at 4th Ave) Opened 6/22/1915Tile color Gray.  Full mezzanine and crossover are at south end, 4 staircases to street, 2 stairs from mezzanine to the southbound platform and 1 staircase to the northbound platform.  The southbound platform is one car length longer than the northbound platform.  Abandoned exit at Southbound side leads to 46th Street.

 

______________

53 STREET

 

 

53rd Street (53rd Street at 4th Ave) Opened 6/22/1915Tile color Yellow.  Full mezzanine at south end, 4 stairs to street, additional exit only staircase at S/B end, 2 stairs each side from mezzanine to platforms. The possible "error" on original BRT sign points to Manhattan-bound staircases as “Downtown Trains”. In actuality  it  means Downtown Brooklyn (SOURCE: Joe Cunningham)

______________

59 STREET

  

 

59th Street (59th Street and 4th Avenue): opened 9/13/1915 Express stop, 4 tracks, 2 island platforms, 2 mezzanines at either end.  North mezzanine is full time with 4 street stairs and 2 stairs to each platform.  This is the final transfer point to the N train before it branches out towards the Sea Beach line. South mezzanine has Ghost Booth with 24/7 HEET access, 2 stairs to street, 1 stair each to platform level.  Platform extension is clearly to the north end as shown by the break in the walls.  The 59 and BMT mosaics on the wall does need some TLC. 

Upon leaving 59th Street, the N breaks away from us and curves left, while we continue straight down 4th Ave.  About halfway between 59th Street and Bay Ridge Ave, we are greeted to a brief outdoor opening and sunlight, it lasts for only a couple of seconds.  This part is an outdoor recreational area near an apartment complex that was built in the 1960’s.  We continue as a tunnel. The line was designed to be expanded to four tracks with island platform at 86th Street. The bridge plainly shows the provision for the second bridge and added two tracks to the East.

___________________

BAY RIDGE AVENUE

AVENUE

  

 

Bay Ridge Avenue (Bay Ridge Avenue and 4th Avenue) Opened 1/15/19162 tracks, 2 side platforms. The full time mezzanine and crossover at south end with 2 street stairs and 2 stairs to each platform.  Platform extensions are visible to the north of the southbound platform and to the south of the northbound platform; also the Manhattan-bound platform is considerably wider than the 95th Street-bound side.  Tile color is blue, the “BR” (for Bay Ridge) mosaics are present at the part time exit only on the Southbound platform.  The original BRT staircases, with the shell and pointed bumps, are gone, they were replaced by plain street stairs

 

______________

77  STREET

 

 

77th Street (77th Street and 4th Avenue) Opened 1/15/1916:  Same setup and design at Bay Ridge Ave, only differences are the tile colors (Red), and the skeleton areas for a newsstand and restrooms are present.  On the western street stair, the BRT design is nearly preserved as an original, with the shell and arrowed design (similar to southbound side of Wall and Fulton Street stations on the IRT 4 and 5 lines.).

   

______________

86  STREET

 

 

86th Street (86th Street and 4th Avenue)  Opened 1/15/1916From 1916 to 1925, this “unfinished” station was a terminal, an abandoned tower, island platform and a relay switch give evidence of this, (originally built with double crossover switches.).  Currently has 1 full time booth, with 2 street stairs and 1 former part time area with 24/7 HEET access, 1 street stair, and ghost booth.  Walls are green.  A private floral shop once existed inside fare control, the area is now vacant.

 

______________

95  STREET

  

 

95th Street (95th Street and 4th Ave) Opened 10/31/1925We have finally come to the last stop on the R line after spending nearly 90 minutes on the local.  The terminal station is your usual 2 track/1 island platform variety with full time access at 95th Street and part time access at 93rd St.  A full length mezzanine has passageway both inside and outside fare control.  The part time side is closed at night and the outside fare control passageway is closed as well. The BRT mosaic is in decent shape, with the classic circle inside diamond preserved.  The full time side has 3 street stairs, one stair at eastern end that is in front of a store, has a covered sign of unknown origin.  Although there may have been numerous speculations over the past several decades as to the possibility that the R line may be extended to Staten Island, the proposal is dead in the water (pun intended), and the BRT may never had any plans to extend service into Staten Island. According to Steve Krakowski the line has a false wall at the end of the tracks and was intended to go to 101st Street

 

Contact us at subway-buff@stationreporter.net

 

 Last revised 01/14/2013

 

Home>NYCT > Transit Today> B Division >R Train

 

All rights reserved by Station reporter.net.

Permission granted to use brief citations with a statement "courtesy of www.stationreporter.net"